We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat or catamaran trips-which is best for seasickness? Wind?

Which Rethymnon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Boat or catamaran trips-which is best for seasickness? Wind?

I hear that the wind is strong in August and sea can be rough. Some of our family get a little seasick but usually cope with tablets. Is it really rough during August? Are boats or catamaran best? Which gives a smoother ride? (Not the large Santorini catamaran).

If anyone has any advice or experience to share then I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,892 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat or catamaran trips-which is best for seasickness? Wind?

Hi,

You say 'boats', are you referring to the regular ferries ? If so, they are better to travel on than the catamarans since they tend to be more stable. I have never experienced rough seas in August but the same can't be said for later in the year.

Cheers, Andy.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat or catamaran trips-which is best for seasickness? Wind?

Thanks Andy but I don't mean the ferries. Thinking of a day trip along the coast.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,892 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat or catamaran trips-which is best for seasickness? Wind?

Hi,

OK, so many people that I know say boats but they mean ferries. Good luck in finding a suitable company for day trips along the coast.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat or catamaran trips-which is best for seasickness? Wind?

The boat trips are from the Rethymnon venetian harbor www-dolphin-cruises.com and you can choose, small or the big pirate ship. The Catamaran sailing trip starts from either Bali or Panormos, between 25-30 Km east of Rethymno. If you get fast sea sick, choose a dolphin trip

Edited: 2:28 am, June 11, 2012
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat or catamaran trips-which is best for seasickness? Wind?

We will be staying at Creta Panorama so Panormos may be a good! Any idea how I can find out about the catamarans? Speed does not make the sea sickness worse and we usually cope on boat trips, it's just that I keep hearing that the wind is strong and makes for a very bumpy ride! Any experience of sailing in these conditions? And is there any difference between how boats and small catamarans cope with the rough seas? Maybe they are the same, just the large catamaran ferries are more stable!

Looking forward to our first trip to Crete :)

6. Re: Boat or catamaran trips-which is best for seasickness? Wind?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:40 pm, June 20, 2013