We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

plantanes/rethymnon

Which Rethymnon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Heysham, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
plantanes/rethymnon

hi,we are staying in plantanes(?)in the marva appartments next week and i wondered if it is feasible to walk between the two or are the roads a bit 'pavementless'? also if any one can recommend any bars/restaurants in that area i'd be grateful.thanks ian

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: plantanes/rethymnon

Not too bad a walk.Roads/pavements ok. Plenty of bars clubs available.

CRETE
Level Contributor
169 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: plantanes/rethymnon

Pavements are ok you can walk and there are plenty of bars restaurants there . Sky park is a club for party animals as for eating Mythos and zisis are the ones i suggest a little bit further down the road

Heysham, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: plantanes/rethymnon

thanks for the replies,will do the walk in and prob get bus back.not a party animal anymore but will check out mythos and zisis. be there next tue,cant wait::)

north shields
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: plantanes/rethymnon

beelsybub70

instead of walking all the way to town on main road

look out for a sign for ''camping elizabeth'', this will take you to a road through the mainly residential,much quieter route into town,and comes out at the start of the promenade.

last year we visited a couple staying at Marva, the apartments didn't have a pool bar, there is a small structure and the owners would go to the supermarket and stock up with you favourite tipples if you ask.

a nice quiet pool area, grassed instead of concrete,at least it was last september.

phildee

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: plantanes/rethymnon

so to walk from Platanes to Rethymno are new paved roads. It is whoever 4 Km, so taxis or busses are there. Also the Yellow train every night for 6 euros p.p. Than the good bars in Platanes, Terrace Bar of Kevin and Lisa, Than JJ'S and Eyes night bar. For a good Greek evening go to the White Lady. For good food go to Statis in Tsesmes, away from the tourism or in Kellari on the main road. Pizza's at Fournaki and also for pastas.

For a good pool you are welcome in Apollon and La Stella, just remember dont use only the pool water, drink something at the bar, than you are welcome next time aswell. Nothing goes for free in Greece, only the sun that is for FREE

Heysham, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: plantanes/rethymnon

thanks for that phildee,sounds like a much better route to town.its still advertised as grass surounded pool-looks quiet but consistently gets great reviews,i presume it will be ok to drink your own refreshments round the pool area if there is no bar? ian

Piraeus, Greece
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: plantanes/rethymnon

Instead of walking or taking buses or taxis I would suggest that you rent a car in Crete, because the island is quite big. A small car will cost you less money then hiring a taxi and you won't waste much time waiting for a bus, because in Greece they don't always stick to the schedule. One good rent a car company that I know of is Royal Car Rental (http://www.creteroyal.com). I had rented my car for four days (Toyota Yaris) and managed to see the whole island at my own pace. Cheers.

north shields
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: plantanes/rethymnon

sorry ian,we cant really answer that one. we didn't stay round the pool,

just had a chat with the couple we had met on the shuttle bus,for a while.

they only had a couple of gripes, mainly the driver dropped them off at the end of the road, and pointed down the road indicating marva was ''down there''

the other was farm dogs barking.

phildee

Heysham, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: plantanes/rethymnon

hey thanks again for the info,the more the merrier.have always checked ta prior to hols but this is the 1st time i have posted and am very pleased with the responses.perhaps the farm dogs will drown out the 'noise of the cockerels!' lol ;-)

The Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
288 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: plantanes/rethymnon

We have recently arrived back from staying in Platanes and because taxis are 8 Euro each way into Rethymnon, we used to get the bus in and a taxi home. We went in every night for a week as we prefer the restaurants/tqavernas in the Old Town to the touristy food you get in Platanes. Everyone is different and there is plenty of choice, although the prices are the same or in some cases more expensive than in Rethymnon.

The cost of the bus fare is under 2 Euro - can't remember exact. You buy them in the supermarket before getting on the bus. At peak times the bus can sometimes be crowded. No-one seemed to know the exact times the bus will appear and there wasn't a timetable! Whilst we were there one came at approximately 25 mins past the hour and another came just after the hour. Sometimes two came within 10 mins - you can never tell. We were staying at Leoniki and got the bus near the taxi rank that was on a road junction. The bus will drop you at the Old Town and it is usually the one most people get off at.

We also hired at car for 16 days. Fuel is now more expensive than in the UK - 175 Euro per litre and lower for deisel. Most rental cars run on unleaded. Alcohol is dearer than the UK and has a 23% tax on it. Food and clothing is taxed at 13%.