We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old town question

north east england
Level Contributor
440 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Old town question

After much deliberating I think I have finally setled on Rethymnon for our 2 week holiday at the end of May. I am looking at the Minos hotel mainly for its position as I understand it is a nice walk into the old town from here.

Has anyone been to the old town and can tell me if its very big say like Rhodes Town or just a few streets that wont take long to see.

Thanks for any information on this and anything else that might enlighten me.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old town question

Hi there

Rethymno's old town area is nowhere near as large as Rhodes Old Town but is nevertheless an intriguing and lovely place to explore on foot. Lots of old buildings of Venetian and Turkish origin, lots of huge, studded wooden doors, iron balconies, fountains tucked away in obscure corners, minarets, churches and lots more including of course, the massive Venetian Fortress, the largest ever built.

north east england
Level Contributor
440 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old town question

Thanks for your prompt reply. I hope I am choosing a nice area with tavernas and things to see as we stroll about.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old town question

Hi again

Rethymno for my money is easily the most pleasant larger town on Crete. Plenty to do and see, loads of bars and restaurants, great beaches, nightlife if you want it, history, culture and upmarket shopping too which always (unfortunately) appeals to my missus.

4. Re: Old town question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 04, 2010