We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini Trip from Rethymnon

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini Trip from Rethymnon

My wife and I recently enjoyed a holiday in Crete and while we were there we thought that we would take a trip to Santorini from Rethymnon. We booked a SEAJETS excursion through Dolphin Tours in Rethymnon for Tuesday 4. August 2009. We received a telephone call from Dolphin Tours on Monday 3.August.2009 to say that the trip had been cancelled! We were given the option of transferring to the excursion which was due to take place on the following Saturday 8.August. 2009 which we were happy to take. We were told to report to the Rethymnon port for the earlier time of 0630 for a 0700 departure. We arrived at the port at the agreed time and waited...and waited... and waited but no SEAJET vessel arrived. We called in to the Dolphin Tours office where we were told that once again the trip had been cancelled. No explanation was given as to why the excursion was cancelled nor indeed why we had not been informed of this. Had we known that SEAJETS was so unreliable we would not have booked an excursion with them. We left Crete shortly after and are extremely disappointed that we were unable to see Santorini.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini Trip from Rethymnon

Hi there

Sorry to read about your disappointment, sounds to me that either a) not enough people were booked on the trip to make it viable (unlikely in August I have to say), or b) there was a mechanical fault with the ferry.

Please don't let this tarnish your view of Crete, sometimes, these things just happen.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini Trip from Rethymnon

This season the fast boats from Crete had serious engine troubles. First it was the Searunner and than it was the Megajet. The cruise was cancelled for 8 days not only from Rethymno, but also from Heraklion. And what to think about the 700 passengers from/ to Pireaus that we had every day.

Airplanes / boats / a car we are always depending on the engine and when it breaks down than we are delivered to the Gods.

Miscommunication is the thing that troubled you, because on the 2nd Saturday we had a coach waiting in the harbor to bring the people that had booked long before to Heraklion and there they had a boat to Santorini and did the program as planned. From 11-8-2009 the boat runned without delays or problems. And for tomorrow 15-8-2009 it's full again.

Romania
Level Contributor
160 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini Trip from Rethymnon

in 15 august 2009 the "famous" Mega jet was very crowded and very SLOWLY.....made 4 HOURS rethymno-santorini...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and only? 3 from santorini to rethymno....i was very angry because the agency told me that the way takes 4 hours go and back

IT WAS A LIE..............

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini Trip from Rethymnon

Today the fast Searunner was 3 hours later, the people only stayed 3 hours on the island. If you want see properly, go in the spring or late seasons and stay 2 nights. Hotels are cheaper than, there is not much crowd and people are alot less stressed. But if everybody goes in te same period, than you must calculate problems, if you dont do that, than stay at home.

Romania
Level Contributor
160 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini Trip from Rethymnon

I spent 2 weeks in Crete and I want to see the Santorini island, too. is there a problem?

not bothered me the crowd that, although agencies know the problem, continue to lie the tourists ...

UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini Trip from Rethymnon

"But if everybody goes in te same period, than you must calculate problems, if you dont do that, than stay at home."

So, everyone should thus expect problems, either that or don't bother coming? Glad to see you're a destination expert and not the Crete marketing manager.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini Trip from Rethymnon

We are coming to Crete either the 16th or the 23rd (probably). One of the things I'd like to do is go to Santorini for the trip with my 2 daughters (teens). Is there a possibility that they don't go as scheduled from Rethymno?

The reason I ask is because we're coming "last minute" and I'm still undecided where to stay. I'm vacillating between some place near Chania or Heraklion (Gouvres). I'd like to take three side trips (at least) and wanted to be some place more or less less expensive to be able to do these trips. 1. Knossis Palace, 2. Santorini, 3. Samaria gorge.

I'll take any advice. Because we were will be there only one week, we wouldn't have a lot of time to deal with cancellations! :)

Rethymno
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Santorini Trip from Rethymnon

No travel agency can be responcible for any delay or mecaniek problems a catamaran can have, all the angecy's who are in Rethymno inform all the client's for the dalay's....from many month's now !!!

Every tuesday and Saturday ...))

crete-rethymno
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Santorini Trip from Rethymnon

Not all the travel Agencies...........Only the travel agencies ho respect the tourists inform that the excursion to the santorini needs now 3 hours to go and 3 hours to come back........

Romania
Level Contributor
160 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santorini Trip from Rethymnon

i agree. they told me "about 2 hours, 2,5 the most"

ha ha ha...what a beautiful lie.....

Get answers to your questions about Rethymnon