We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paleochora

Which Rethymnon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cumbria
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Paleochora

We are considering a holiday in Paleochora next September. It's somewhere we've wanted to go for a while and like the sound of what we've read about it and also the surrounding area. Has anyone visited there recently?

cumbria
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paleochora

Sorry. Just realised I've posted on the wrong forum!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paleochora

Hi there

I've not visited for a couple of years but other than the likelihood that a few more hotels have opened since, it's not likely to have changed much.

It has a great beach, it's best asset really and even though it is expanding rapidly as a resort, it still has a good "feel" to the place. Loads to do and see in the town, plenty of bars and restaurants, car and bike hire agencies, ferry trips to Sougia and along the south coast, boat trips out to Gavdos island and all sorts of trips available to, for example, the Samaria Gorge, Elafonissi and so on.

Definately rent a car for a few days to explore this end of the island, it's very scenic, very wild in places and gets nowhere near as crowded as the huge resorts along the north coast between Iraklion and Agios Nikolaos.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,219 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paleochora

I have stayed in Paleochora a number of times in the last 20 years, thus I can see that there has certainly been no 'rapid' expansion or anything like it. There is the usual odd small hotel/rooms for rent place added occasionally, and the odd holiday home appears in the hills behind, but it's all been pretty slow, good thing too. It has all the basic requirements as a resort, the beaches to the west are generally sandy, and east of the peninsular generally pebbly. The wind does tend to be very blustery in the area and I have seen the main beach totally deserted as a result. As you have done your research, you will know about getting to Ag.Irini/Samaria Gorge and Elafonissos.

The main thing against Paleochora is that it is a long way to anywhere else in Crete, so I tend to move along the south coast and stay in other places as well time permitiing like Loutro, Frangokastello, Plakias, and Matala, part of which can be done with the south coast ferry.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paleochora

As GB says there is plenty to see & do in & around Paleochora. September is also a nice time to visit the area. Paleochora is the largest town on the far southwest coast & does not have a constant stream of trafffic running through it as does many of the northern villages & towns. As GB says there is a very wide sandy beach to the western side & a long stretch of shingle/stone beach to the east where you can find some secluded bathing if required. Some of the town towards the ruined castle is closed to traffic in the evenings where you can have a relaxing dring or meal without the roar of mopeds disturbing the tranquility of the place.

There are several buses per day to Chania if you chose not to hire a car. Kandanos village is worth a visit as is the small settlement of Anydri.

The first ferry along the coast leaves Paleochora at either 8am or 8.30am & you can get to Sougia, Agia Roumeli (the exit village of the Samaria Gorge), Loutro & Hora Sfakia for the day if desired. The ferry trip along the south coast giveviews of some spectacular mountain scenery & is well worth the effort.

If you wish to walk the Samaria gorge under your own steam then you can take the first public bus up to the entrance of the gorge, do the walk then ferry back. It is much cheaper than an organised tour & almost as convenient.

It is a great base to explore the are from if you do hire a car & there is so much more to see if you have a car.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paleochora

Looks like I'm wrong again then......

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paleochora

OK- for the sake of the forum pedant, I'll explain what I mean..

When I say that Paleohora is expanding rapidly, I mean that it is becoming increasingly popular for visitors to Crete who want to avoid the freneticism of the north coastal resorts, and NOT that the place is swallowing up land at a huge rate of knots.

Retired Hippy, it's a pity you don't lighten up some, so get down from your high horse, accept the fact that there are actually other folk here who have been to Greece as well as you, stop making yourself look stupid by constantly trying to prove other people wrong, and let's hope Santa brings you a new head large enough to contain your over-inflated opinion of yourself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paleochora

Right folks calm down here.

What GB says is true Retired Hippy. You know your stuff quite obviously, just sometimes you could be a bit more tactful in your replies.

Yes, you've been to Greece lots of times, possibly a lot more than some of us, but your perspective isn't always the right one, just like maybe sometimes mine isn't. And god forbid, some of us actually don't mind going on packages. And yes, we take our brains with us too in reply to some of the comments you've made about package holidays.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paleochora

Hi all

If you can get a cheap package that isn't much more than the flights then go for it, we tend to do this quite a lot as we don't like staying in the same place for a fortnight, we like to see as much of the place as we can as we might never return again.

Just make sure you check hotel reviews with either holiday uncovered, trip advisor, holiday watchdog, holiday truths, before you make the final booking, I have been lucky so far never stayed in a bad place yet.

Dawn

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paleochora

I must admit plakias was my favourite place but it was 4 years ago since we were there not sure what it's like now but had great beaches great for walks and good places to eat.

Dawn

cumbria
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paleochora

Thanks for all replies. We always go on package holidays as for us it works out cheaper and then do our own thing when we get there. Also if anything goes wrong someone else can sort it out for us as was the case when we were returning from Naxos in September and XL went bust. We'd originally booked for Ikaria (been twice before and love it) but because of the pound/euro situation have decided on Paleochora as we can get the holiday a lot cheaper and what we save will go towards spending money. Plus we've wanted to go there for a while. As we did advance booking with Sunvil we can change booking up till 31st December without administration charges so are going to sort it out on Saturday. Thanks for your help. Now I'm sure we've picked the right place for us.