We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Platanias or Platanes

Which Rethymnon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hereford
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Platanias or Platanes

Im confused.

I am trying to book our first holiday to Crete & have chosen the western side.

Hving read maps, reviews, web sites & holiday brochures, Ive noticed that Platanes & Platanias are both descibed as an area of Rethymnon yet the maps I have looked at show that Platanias is near to Hania.

I have short listed some accomodation but I need to clarify the above before I book the holiday.

Thnks in advance for any help offered.

Mike

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Platanias or Platanes

I think you have gotten 2 diffeerent places mixed up, which is not at all surprising in Crete (or anywhere in Greece!).

PLATANIAS or PLATANE oR PLATANI is a north shore small seaside town just east of Hania on Souda bay.

What you are looking for in Rethymnon province may be PLAKIAS which is on the South Coast, about 20 miles EAST of Frangokastello. It does do a lot of UK Package holidays. It may have several different spellings too but I don't think any spellings involve an "N".

Hope this helps.

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Platanias or Platanes

No, there is a Platines near Rethymonon too - its about 4km or so outside the city centre - we are going there soon to the Apollon Apts.

Hereford
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Platanias or Platanes

thanks Joe.

the apollon is one of the accomodation that i have got shortlisted but if you look in the airtours brochure is says that these apartments are "in the PLATANIAS area of Rethymnon", hence my confusion.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,828 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Platanias or Platanes

Platanias is a resort 10 Km west of Chania, Platanes is 4 Km east of Rethymnon. The similarity in names does cause errors and confusion.

If it's this place, it's Platanes east of Rethymnon, however the location map on the website spells it Platanias. Obviously this has somehow gotten into a brochure.

www.apollon-hotel.gr/surroundings_en.htm

north shields
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Platanias or Platanes

having gone to Platanes quite often in the past few years, some of the signs in the resort,even at the bus stops call it Platanias.

so if they don't know for certain what chance have we got.

i spoke to the owner of the Kelhari restaurant

last year as his website shows Platanias,

he blamed an expat englishman who makes up the websites for local businesses.

if the brochure says within 6 kilometres of Rethymnon it will most certainly mean Platanes.

good luck

Hereford
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Platanias or Platanes

I can see why it gets confusing so thanks to all your posts for clarifying this for me.

Its the Platanes/Platanias area of Rethymnon that I am looking at

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Platanias or Platanes

Go to the western side! By Chania! Its beautiful over there and lots to do! There is some confusion tho. Right by Hania, which they spell it Xania over there, is about 7 miles from the city Chania that has the airport. Hania or Xania is said like "honya" rhyming with "honda". When youre in Xania you can tell the taxi to take you to Platanis. And you say it just like that (pla - ta - nis). That is where it is really touristy with lots of good restaurants and shopping and at midnight the clubs open and its dancing, singing and drinking Raki till the sun comes up! During June, July and August, the next city up the road from Platanis is called Milos, or something sounding like that. It closes about the end of August, then everyone goes to Platanis till it gets cold. November months are only about 65 degrees. Not too bad. But I live in AZ so thats nice to me!

Rethymno is nice, it boasts sandy beaches, tasty tavernikas and beautiful architechture but if you want shopping, nightlife and a variety of sailing, snorkeling and fishing expeditions, then go to Xania, "old town hania". Wherever you go, the food is spectacular and the people are friendly. (most speak english too!) Taxi cab drivers are always a good source of information. There is a nice little hotel with reasonable rates that is right on the beach and within walking distance of shopping, swimming and sight seeing. Its in Xania called Danaos Hotel. It is small, quant, clean, nice view of beach and breakfast every morning. It is family owned and operated and is surrounded by the best greek restaurants you'll ever eat at. Try the kalamari! It is to die for!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Platanias or Platanes

Go to the western side! By Chania! Its beautiful over there and lots to do! There is some confusion tho. Right by Hania, which they spell it Xania over there, is about 7 miles from the city Chania that has the airport. Hania or Xania is said like "honya" rhyming with "honda". When youre in Xania you can tell the taxi to take you to Platanis. And you say it just like that (pla - ta - nis). That is where it is really touristy with lots of good restaurants and shopping and at midnight the clubs open and its dancing, singing and drinking Raki till the sun comes up! During June, July and August, the next city up the road from Platanis is called Milos, or something sounding like that. It closes about the end of August, then everyone goes to Platanis till it gets cold. November months are only about 65 degrees. Not too bad. But I live in AZ so thats nice to me!

Rethymno is nice, it boasts sandy beaches, tasty tavernikas and beautiful architechture but if you want shopping, nightlife and a variety of sailing, snorkeling and fishing expeditions, then go to Xania, "old town hania". Wherever you go, the food is spectacular and the people are friendly. (most speak english too!) Taxi cab drivers are always a good source of information. There is a nice little hotel with reasonable rates that is right on the beach and within walking distance of shopping, swimming and sight seeing. Its in Xania called Danaos Hotel. It is small, quant, clean, nice view of beach and breakfast every morning. It is family owned and operated and is surrounded by the best greek restaurants you'll ever eat at. Try the kalamari! It is to die for!

9. Re: Platanias or Platanes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, October 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rethymnon