We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's the beach near the old town in summer?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How's the beach near the old town in summer?

I plan on spending most of my days at the beach laying out and swimming. I heard there are sometimes summer winds and was trying to get an idea of how frequent or bad these winds are.

I will be there in the beginning of August for 6 days and will be staying in the Old Town. Are the waves going to be really rough? Is this a good beach destination in the summer?

How's the atmosphere at the beach? Is it romantic and calm or are there lots of kids and activities going on?

Thanks

Dortmund, Germany
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How's the beach near the old town in summer?

If you are looking for a romantic beach in Crete, Rethymnon in August is not the place to go to. It is a fine sandy beach however, it will be busy in August as this is the time most Greeks take their summer holidays. Going to the village for the Aug.15th holiday and all that... The waves can be rough but just the same the sea can be "like oil" as the Greeks say. It is anybody's guess what the sea will be like, you do get strong winds in August. You will just have to take it in your stride. It is a good destination if you like things lively and at the same time the Old Time is really romantic.

Carpi, Italy
Level Contributor
142 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How's the beach near the old town in summer?

rethymnon is wonderful but its beach is quite disappointing...

maybe you should also rent a car and explore some beaches outside the town

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's the beach near the old town in summer?

Rethymnon has a great bus service and you can get to a quiet beach to the west of town in 15 minutes. The bus station is also on the west side of town.

Rethymno
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How's the beach near the old town in summer?

The winds called meltemia are usually after half of August. The problem isn't just waves, but underwater currents also.(VERY DANGEROUS) Just look for the red flag (or black) and don't enter the sea!

Rethymno beach is on of the longest beaches in the island, probably the longer. It is the first destination. But you can also try some beaches outside rethymno on the east or west part

The atmosphere in like classic greek beach. Lots of umbrellas and some places where the beach is free. Usually not much kids playing around making noise and some activities like parasailing and similar :)

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How's the beach near the old town in summer?

For the most clean beaches and and clear waters I'd suggest you the beaches at the south part of Rethymno like Preveli, Plakias, Ag. Galini, Triopetra, or Agios Pavlos. You'd need to rent a car to go there. BUT if you see strong north wind DO NOT go at those beaches, because you won't enjoy them.

Rethymno has the longest beach in Crete in town, but it's busy especially on weekends.

My suggestion: try not to miss Preveli, it's heaven on earth!

6. Re: How's the beach near the old town in summer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 04, 2009