We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitor

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Visitor

Good afternoon all,

I will very shorty be a first time visitor to Rethymnon/Crete and would like to tap in to the valuable knowledge some of you guys have.

1. Does anybody know what the exchange rate is in the town at the minute? I'd just like to work out where is best for me to get value for money.

2. Is Lake Kournas easy to get to using public transport and if so, how?

3. As above, but for the Arkadi Monastery? I recall reading a thread on TA dating back a couple of years that public transport only allows you 1 hour there (too little time) or 4 hourss (too long), is this still the case?

4. The big kid in me really wants to go to Water City, however the 'deal' I found online charges 54 euro per person which seems excessive considering tickets for the waterpark cost 22 euro if purchased online. Is Water City accessible easy enough by public transport from Rethymnon?

One last question (for now, I'll no doubt be back with more), there are so many other excursions we'd like to do with so little time. If you could pick one excursion only, what would that be?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Stephen

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,798 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visitor

Hi. I just returned from Chania and rethymno. Loved it.

excursions- exploring inland and going to the south coast is a highlight. This is a thin part of the island so a taxi to Plakias is only 40-45 euro.

Plakias is a cute seaside village on the beach. From it you can then hike about 15 minutes (or taxi, which is easy to find, for 5 euro) to Damninos beach which is a sandy beach in a more rural natural location with only a couple of tavernas.

The ride there is half the fun. You'll pass through mountains and gorges and stunning scenery.

As to the exchange rate- if you go to a bank ATM I think it would be the same rate plus any bank fees.

Waterpark- I would urge you to explore the beauty that is crete, and leave the water park for another place and time.

2. Re: First Time Visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 08, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Rethymnon