We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maleme Airfield

Bath
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Maleme Airfield

Several people have said to our company that they do not want to go to Maleme because of the Military Base nearby. My understanding is that since 2012 there has been very limited use of Maleme by the Hellenic Air Force and the main use now is by Chania Aero Club for light private propeller planes.

I have no idea where this misinformation is on the internet, but if you find it, please correct it.

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
483 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maleme Airfield

Going august, and previously went 9 years ago.

Maleme air field is no problem, staying next door to it at Louis Creta again.

Didn't affect my holiday, hence going back.

Been to worse places with planes taking off and flying low, Egypt and Rhodes before.

Deb x

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maleme Airfield

Maleme airport is NOT an active airport. Indeed it is part of a military camp and it is used occasionally by the Modellist Club of Chania, not the Aero club. As far as i know, at least.

where is located, there aren't many accomodation really next by it. I a few words, i wouldn't worry about noise from the airport. Since you'll be there, if you finally go, visit the german War Cemetary for a bit of history...

Enjoy your holidays

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maleme Airfield

Maleme airport is no problem at all. We have just got back from a 2 week stay in maleme and nothing took off or landed there. The only aircraft you will hear are the military jets that take off and land at Chania airport and they are no bother either. The only activity we saw there was a few bits of old ammo being blown up one thursday afternoon, again not a problem, in fact it gave us something to look at whilst lying on the beach.

4. Re: Maleme Airfield

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, October 07, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Maleme