We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Maleme next May-June- what Car/beach?

Which Maleme hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worthing Sussex
Level Contributor
87 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Maleme next May-June- what Car/beach?

Hello

My Wife and I are staying at Mikes Hotel in Maleme early next summer. We normally hire a saloon car but last year in Skiathos experienced a 4x4 for the first time- it was great as we got to all those far flung beaches that are at the end of a long bumpy unmade track.

This is our first visit to western Crete and I wondered what is recommended- a 4x4 or would a normal car do? We love taking off and exploring every day and heaven is an empty beach with no facilities just golden sand and clear water for a snorkel, cheese pie and fruit to the ready.

Any advice re car or beaches welcome.

Thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Maleme next May-June- what Car/beach?

Hi there

A standard car is fine for just about anywhere in Crete as long as it's got at least a 1.3 litre engine. Obviously, if you intend taking to the hills on unmade, dirt roads, then a 4X4 with knobbly tyres is the best bet as a regular car would end up with damage to exhaust, floor pan, tyres, and so on. The only real place in your neck of the woods that's on the main tourist trail where I'd advise a 4X4 is the run across the Gramvousa peninsula to Balos beach. There's a rough track that starts in the village of Kaliviani and although the locals will bump along it in regular cars, I wouldn't advise it.

There are m,any beautiful beaches in western and south western Crete, the most famous of which are Elafonissi and Falasarna. Paleohora on the south coast has a superb beach too.

Worthing Sussex
Level Contributor
87 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Maleme next May-June- what Car/beach?

Many thanks- thats most helpful.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Maleme next May-June- what Car/beach?

You're welcome. enjoy your trip to Crete.

Maleme, Greece
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Maleme next May-June- what Car/beach?

Check Gee Pa's rent a car right next door to Mike's.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Maleme next May-June- what Car/beach?

Any other advice than recommending a car hire comapny as a new poster?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Maleme next May-June- what Car/beach?

.....and almost six months after the first post...?? :0)

Worthing Sussex
Level Contributor
87 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Maleme next May-June- what Car/beach?

Sunnysuites

Any idea what a Jimny or other 4WD would cost for 10 days hire please? I want to decide whether to book from UK or on arrival. I'd like a 4WD so we are unrestricted as per other posts but not iff its simply too expensive.

8. Re: Visiting Maleme next May-June- what Car/beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 26, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Maleme