We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low-Budget Car Rental at Heraklion Airport (Crete)

9 posts
Low-Budget Car Rental at Heraklion Airport (Crete)
Save

Hi,

I'm searching for a cheap but reliable car rental company at the airport of Heraklion.

What's important:

- Really NO hidden costs

- Everything should be fully insured (collision damage, tires, glass, roof, bottom, theft, breakdown service)

- Reliable reservation (Don't want to stay on the airport and the car isn't available.)

- Fuel policy: full-full

--------------------------

What's not important:

- Power and size of the car

- A "good looking" car (either inside or outside)

- Other premium services

I appreciate every answer that might help finding a good offer!

Edited: 7 years ago
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
469 reviews
4,745 helpful votes
11. Re: Low-Budget Car Rental at Heraklion Airport (Crete)
Save

Have a look at this thread on megarent http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k6049778-o20-Oscar_or_Megarent_please-Crete.html

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
469 reviews
4,745 helpful votes
12. Re: Low-Budget Car Rental at Heraklion Airport (Crete)
Save

I noticed that the smallest Dimitris has available for those dates is a class B 1.2 Fiat Panda. As Scaffolder said I hope you get something sorted out that suits your budget.

9 posts
13. Re: Low-Budget Car Rental at Heraklion Airport (Crete)
Save

Yes, I know it's not that early to book a rental car but I just got the last minute fly a few days ago. (~40€ per fly)

We are doing low-budget camping on Crete but as I read a rental car will be much of an advantage, that's why we are trying to get one even for our very low budget.

------

Yes, megarent seems to be nice when reading the reviews but I'm a bit wary about that amount of absolutely positive reviews by 1-post users. Not saying that they aren't good. As I said, I already send them a query and am waiting for the reply.

Edited: 7 years ago
Maryland
Level Contributor
639 posts
84 reviews
73 helpful votes
14. Re: Low-Budget Car Rental at Heraklion Airport (Crete)
Save

From our car search in 2014, Athens Cars was the next cheapest and, although older models, seems to get good reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k8796602-Athenscars-Crete.html However, I suggest searching the forum for more feedback (jump to Crete; search for Athens Car or Athenscars)

15. Re: Low-Budget Car Rental at Heraklion Airport (Crete)

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
469 reviews
4,745 helpful votes
16. Re: Low-Budget Car Rental at Heraklion Airport (Crete)
Save

I was going to say Athens Cars always get good reviews on the forums (or at least I have never read a bad one).

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
48 reviews
91 helpful votes
17. Re: Low-Budget Car Rental at Heraklion Airport (Crete)
Save

The gamble is yours.

For a few more Euros more, members of TA are recommending 3 good rental companies. You can research this for ever and come up with cheaper deals....but you risk poor service, bad cars, and less then honest " no additional fees".

If it was me I would take one of the three recommended agents and just have one less bar or restaurant experience.

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
265 reviews
214 helpful votes
18. Re: Low-Budget Car Rental at Heraklion Airport (Crete)
Save

From reading reviews and posts on here for the last couple of years there are 3 companies that come very highly rated by TA users Athens, Anna and Autorentals, closely followed by Autoways.

Europeo have had horrendous reviews so I would stay clear.

Reading all above and the fact you want it from the airport I would recommend Athens cars as looking like your best option.

The only other alternative and I don't know if this is an option for you or not is wait and try to get a deal the location you are staying.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
36 reviews
55 helpful votes
19. Re: Low-Budget Car Rental at Heraklion Airport (Crete)
Save

Hi..I do think it is wise to get directly in touch with these companies stating your exact requirements.

I didn't go for the automatic on- line prices but got in personal e-mail contact with Janis ( Autoway) who couldn't have been more efficient or helpful.

I do hope you find what you are looking for! :O) :O).

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
18,387 posts
241 reviews
303 helpful votes
20. Re: Low-Budget Car Rental at Heraklion Airport (Crete)
Save

Hi there

Agree with Creteaholic ...I never use car hire web sites, but always email them direct ..stating exactly what I want that way you don't get any unpleasant t surprises :-) and you get a direct comparison price wise too :-)

© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.