We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Crete resort

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
37 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Which Crete resort

Hi all ,after many years as fans of Kassiopi on Corfu Me and my wife are considering trying Crete in September . Any recommendations for a resort. Im 60, shes not. we love dining out and enjoy bar life , We are not really pool people but love to wander the streets and alleyways of a resort. We are also interested in history so a chance to see the sights would be nice. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Dave C

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,342 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Crete resort

I would suggest one of the towns - Agios Nikolaos or Rethymnon would probably be best if you want to see some archaeological sites.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Crete resort

Agios Nikolaos or Elounda for me.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Crete resort

Hi there

As a fan of Kassiopi too....we had our first holiday there last year.... then I would suggest you look at Agios Nikolaos, a wonderful laid back Greek town, but with a village feel.....lots of excellent traditional tavernas some good bars and of course the beautiful views of the bottomless lake and also the Mirabello bay too. Agios is less than an hour from Knossos and 10 min drive from the island of Spinalonga, which I expect are on your list of places to visit

If you do like the look of Agios then am happy to give you more info on accommodation, bars, tavernas etc.

Heraklion, Greece
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Crete resort

Hi Dave!

I will have to agree with both steve_p53 and MG100surrey...

I too will suggest Rethimno and Agios Nikolaos...

Rethimno is more 'romantic' with the Venecian old town right next to the port.

Beautiful alleyways with shops and restaurants and cozy cafeterias..

Agios Nikolaos is more 'easy going' with a beautiful lake in the middle of the city...

From both destinations you can easily visit Knossos - Malia - or even have a day trip to Festos..

September is a very good period to enjoy Crete.

Whatever your decision I'm sure you will have a wonderful vacation!! Enjoy!!

Crete, Greece
Level Contributor
46 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Crete resort

Hi!

I think Rethymno and Chania are quite close to what you describe. Narrow streets, old venecian harbour, old castle, a lot of nice restaurants and bars. I think you will have a good time in both towns!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Crete resort

All depends on how long you're staying. Having been to all the major areas of Crete, I would recommend a 5-day stay in Chania, followed-by a 5-day stay in Agio Nikolaos. Very different in terms of people and food, but each offer an amazing experience (Chania must more colourful during the day, Agio Nikolaos is spectacular at night).

Food for thought.

You could either rent a car or take the bus between the two areas. Either would be good for your purposes.

Barnstaple
Level Contributor
14 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Crete resort

Hi I saw your post regarding accommodation in Ag Nik and would like some more advice please.

I am going to Crete for the first time, with a friend in October and were thinking of staying in Agio Nick, but we will not have a car. Is that a huge problem? I read that the bus service is very good on Crete and thought we could travel around quite easily that way. We have been looking at the Victoria hotel, and the vangelis apartments, are they too far out? We like quiet and relaxing, and I like to paint.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Crete resort

Hi Barnstaple artist,

18 months ago we stayed just along the coast at Plaka, it was so we could be close to the ex-leper colony of Spinalonga . Plaka was very nice it had about 12 restaurants and several artist type tourist shops. And about 1/2 way between Agi Nik and Plaka is Elounda which has a lovely small harbour with all the small colourful fishing boats. This September I am torn between Chania and Agi Nik and you have just made it harder for me to choose the Victoria looks centeal and a nice hotel. I believe the bus runs from Agi Nik to Plaka, not sure if it was hourly or every 2 hours.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,342 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Crete resort

It's hourly to Elounda, every 2 hours to Plaka.

Barnstaple
Level Contributor
14 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Crete resort

Thanks for your response, where did you stay?