We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heraklion Airport

greenock
Level Contributor
184 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Heraklion Airport

Having just returned from Crete yesterday departing from Heraklion Airport I'm afraid I will never return to Crete, this airport is an absolute disgrace, coralling people outside the terminal building for 45 mins, standing at the check in desk for an hour, inefficient, cluless, ill-mannered security/passport control staff, passanger departure lounge and facilities are shocking as are the duty free shop prices, got to be the most expensive in the world and I include Luanda airport(Angola) in that comparision, the majority of the passengers going back to Glasgow agreed, it is no wonder that the Greek economy is in terminal decline, I got a sense of lethargy and we've already got your money and we dont care, after the customer service skills on display in Heraklion not one euro will you ever get from me again, would like to hear similar experiences from disgruntled travellers

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Heraklion Airport

Snap, Steve. :-) I suggested flying to Chania in post 1. It's the easiest solution and most obvious.

Bu Delbhoy didn't respond, so I guess he'd rather nurse his anger at Heraklion.

Hi Delbhoy, if you'd rather go to Dalaman, Faro, and Paphos, that's your choice. Enjoy them! It's Crete for me, every time, every year since 1981. Sometimes Chania airport, sometimes Heraklion. I don't like Heraklion airport either. But it's a small price to pay.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Heraklion Airport

"So, let's never go back to Crete because I have to queue for half an hour to get checked in before I fly home". Have you ever considered that you are actually as big a part of the issue as is everyone else? It's like blaming everyone for a traffic jam when you're sat in it too.

Edited: 1:45 pm, June 11, 2013
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Heraklion Airport

Hi again

Just back from Corfu, and guess what! if you book with a package company....then they expect you to queue outside too.....

Sorry you had a rotten time at the airport delboy61, but as I have mentioned on numerous occasions, we travel 4 - 5 times most years to Crete and always fly into Heraklion airport, for the last two years we haven't had any delays or any problems arriving or departing from this airport, and we always fly at least once during the very height of the season, yes its crowded but I really don't think its that bad...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Heraklion Airport

>Have you ever considered that you are actually as big a part of the issue as is everyone else? It's like blaming everyone for a traffic jam when you're sat in it too.<

Brilliant, GB.

Wirral
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Heraklion Airport

I think i must be at the wrong airport!

Just checked in for my flight home- only one person in front of me.

No queue at security- went straight through.

Had a casual mooch around duty free and bought a few things. The size of duty free and the prices seemed no different to any airport in Europe.

Bought a beer, Coke and spinach pie which cost 11 euros. No different to any other airport in Europe!

Just relaxing in departures waiting for my Easyjet flight to board.

Not a stressful experience at all. Have certainly experienced worse! Even in the UK! Maybe it is because we haven't done it on a package and its a quiet day but no complaints from me!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Heraklion Airport

Hi W B

That's good to hear but I think it's because you aren't flying home on one of the package changeover days. Safe trip home anyway.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Heraklion Airport

Got back on Saturday morning from crete took the advice from the seasoned travellers on the forum and ignored the reps only to find no information on the departure boards in the terminal building , on asking a rep got told to join the queue as they were waiting on desks all of a sudden a rush came through the doors still nothing on the boards even 15 minutes later as for the x ray queues what a mess about 8 desks going into 1 . Unfortunately we all can't fly to chania or with easy jet .

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Heraklion Airport

Its the queueing that seems to get peoples back up we normally arrive about an hour before our flight at Hiraklion airport and might spend all that time in queues, so what, fly from Heathrow or Gatwick where you have to arrive at least two hours before, just to cover the huge distances involved.

Next time come to Crete wiser and forewarned, travel a bit more independently ask on trip advisor about using buses etc to make your own way to the airport, get there a bit later , do your own thing. don't be hearded by your rep. and above all go with the flow a few hours at the airport shouldn't spoil your holiday.

I will admit the information at Hiraklion is like most Greek airports , very poor, with very few announcements. But we have two eyes and a mouth, the departure area is far from vast, my general approach is find the check-in desks for your airline and if you are unsure as to whether they are checking your flight in at that time then ask.

The Greeks have a very laissez faire attitude to the whole thing. I have arrived late in the past and almost been dragged through check-in , waved through security and dived on the bus out to the plane, but never missed a flight ,unlike in the uk despite trying to check-in with nearly an hour to go until my flight.

Airports are pretty chaotic places at the best of times, apart from Bermuda where they ask that you don't arrive more than an hour before your flight, and a necessary evil as part of our travels.

Chill folks your letting it cloud your memories of what was probably a great holiday.

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Heraklion Airport

We had no problems at Heraklion Airport, either arriving or departing - but we were flying with Aegean via Athens - and we did notice a queue of folk standing outside. It is a small airport, yes - but we had no queue when checking in - our baggage was quick to arrive - and there was plenty of seating. We did have a delay of an hour on our departing plane, yesterday - but that was because the plane was late leaving Athens. The delay caused us nearly to miss our onward flight from ATH to LHR and a mad dash across the airport! The rolls from Everest were disgusting though - and went straight in the bin.

Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Heraklion Airport

Anybody experienced Chania Airport? We can fly there now from Prestwick. I would love to keep holidaying in Crete but could not bear the thought of departing again from Heraklion.