We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caldera Car Hire

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Caldera Car Hire

I have just booked my holiday car hire through Jet 2.

This year from Harklion Airport the car is being supplied by Caldera Car Hire.

(In previous years it has been Avis who supplied the car but you don't get told before you book exactly which company will supply the car, so you take pot luck!)

In the past we have picked up some seriously poor, almost, no make that plain dangerous, cars at Heraklion Airport so..........

Does anyone have any experience of Caldera Car Hire specifically at Heraklion Airport?

What is the company like to deal with, efficient, courteous, rough as the proverbial badgers b*m?

How good, or bad, are their cars?

Where is the car pick up point - is it out of the airport, turn right, go over the road and hunt for their car lot sign???

Thanks Anne

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
28 replies to this topic
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caldera Car Hire

Hi Anne

I cant find much about this company, and was desperately trying to remember if I had seen a sign for them it at Heraklion airport, which I don't remember seeing.

Anyway here is a link that gives you some more information, hopefully someone else will post a response who has had more experience :

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k54…

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caldera Car Hire

Thanks, for the reply it was much appreciated.

I had read that post but as it didn't relate to Crete I thought I would try to get something more specific if I could.

I have now had an email about the booking and it show it as a "meet and greet" arrangement, which I am not thrilled about since I can't find out anything about Caldera Car Hire.

Maybe I should just cancel the booking and start agin!

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caldera Car Hire

Hi Anne

If you aren't going to loose any money then I think I would probably cancel the booking, there are so many good car hire companies in Crete, and lots of recommendations on this forum too...may be worth an enquiry to put your mind at rest too :-) hope it works out

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caldera Car Hire

Hi Anne, so how did it go?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caldera Car Hire

I decided to cancel the booking and use another car hire company with an office at the airport.

Rosario, Argentina
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caldera Car Hire

Hi, first sorry for my english. But i want to prevent others travelers from wasiting money, time and happines ir yours vacations. I rented in caldera past july 2013 a car. It was just a dissaster . They came 1 hour late , the car was dirty, and really bad shape. Tires bad, interior really bad, , all full of scratches. The worst, for that price we could get a better car in hertz or other first lines companies. Please avoid Caldera ! Aparently they are only a travel agency that rents bad cars to cheaps comanies. My contract says Reliable rent a car, so i will evoid that company too.

Greetings

Juan.

Barcelona, Spain
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Caldera Car Hire

My recommendation is also: avoid Caldera and specially its supplier GREEN MOTIONS. We rented a car from them last week (from 28th July to 1st August 2014) near Thessaloniki airport. I admit it was quite clean, but as luck would have it the car battery was seriously damaged, as we discovered the following day in a country house near Litochoro (90 minutes from the airport) in the middle of nowhere. They told us from the central offices of Green Motions to look for a new battery and a mechanic, ask for a bill or timologio and pay with our own money (Was that the “24 hours road assistance” of the contract?). I omit the details about finding the mechanic and the battery for a Fiat Panda by phone from that country house. Yes, we were given our money back the next day at the offices of Green Motions near the airport, but our four-day-holiday in Litochoro and Halkidiki were seriously damaged, just like the battery. By the way, no apologies at all from any of the chaps working in the offices of Green Motions at the airport. Very annoying the whole story.

José Simón

Cristina Abelló

Barcelona

Mentioned in this post
Litochoro
Litochoro
Pieria Region, Greece
Halkidiki Region
Halkidiki Region
Central Macedonia, Greece
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Bern, Switzerland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Caldera Car Hire

Hello

I'd definitely wouldn't recommend them!!

Unfortunately, we were very unsatisfied with the car we got. It seemed old but ok when we got it. But while driving for a while, we realized that the car was rubbish. It only had about 65'000km but was not in a good condition. Several things were broken or not working:

- one front light wasn't working, we had to drive with one light only, which was quite dangerous.

- clutch sounded, squeezed

- we couldn't quite close the drivers window; had to do it hard by hand

- sometimes the starter didn't work

- we didn't have any car papers

- windshield wiper for the front screen didn't clear water away

- radio didn't work

- the thing in the luggage space was broken

- on the drivers door, where the window should vanish, the plastic came off

We wanted to tell that to the company when we returned the car, but they were so unfriendly, I could hardly believe! They asked me if everything was ok and I told them what was not ok, but he didn't listen at all but said I should go now. Very very unfriendly!

And they definitely tried to cheat on us, when we wanted to have an additional full insurance. It was double the prize i would have gotten it when i booked it on rentalcars.com.

That happened last week...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caldera Car Hire

I would categorically not recommend renting from this company.

I would not include this company in your campaigns any longer. The car pickup was not at the address we were provided -- nothing was there -- not even the home office. We agreed to a price for the services we were after and then when we showed up, we were told we owed an extra 70 euros, which was nearly 1/3 of the entire rental price. The car was an antique with far too many kilometers on it to be enjoyable. The shocks were completely gone, the steering was shot, and the stereo system essentially didn't work. It was a disaster from start to finish.

We had a Greek friend call the company to sort out the return. He received all the directions, which we follower to the letter, only for them not to be remotely accurate. The last thing anyone wants to deal with when meeting a flight is any uncertainty with dropping off your rental car.

Tullamore
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caldera Car Hire

This company are a total bunch of chancers and rentalcars.com/travel jigsaw are no better.

Firstly they will always be the cheapest but then after booking rentalcars.com will ring you pushing a lower than €800 excess insurance on you. This happened me twice and I didn't bite. However when I landed at the airport and went to pick up the car the agent told me I was gojng to have to pay a €25 overtime charge despite me clearly including the flite no on the booking. No other car hire company was charging their customers. I told the unkempt agent that under no circumstances was my credit card to be charged but a day later it was charged under 'europrent'.

The agent met me at arrivals with a sign and brought me out to a temp booth at side of the terminal.

The car was a banger and couldn't pass a test home.

Overall an total joke of a service with a very cynical pricing policy to tempt the buyer and then a bogus charge at the end amounting to extortion.

Reply to: Caldera Car Hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted