We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip from Heraklion or Rethymnon to Santorini and Mykonos

Which Heraklion hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Trip from Heraklion or Rethymnon to Santorini and Mykonos

I would like to see Santorini and Mykonos for 2-3 days. I will be in Rethymnon in September 2013

for 10 days. During this time I want to buy 2-3 days trip to see these islands.What is the best way to buy?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip from Heraklion or Rethymnon to Santorini and Mykonos

Hi there

Crete is a huge island, and you could easily fill your 10 days there a hundred times over, there's so much to see. If you are intend on seeing two Cycladic islands that have decent ferry connections between them, you'd be better off scrapping Crete and just heading for the Cyclades anyway. Going to the time, effort and expense of getting to two islands and then just for 2-3 days really isn't worth it. A day for each island, what will you see? - very little outside of the port towns where you'll arrive and absolutely no chance to get a feel for either place.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,474 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip from Heraklion or Rethymnon to Santorini and Mykonos

I agree with this. There is really no point in planning a trip in this way. Either devote the time you have to Crete, which is not really an "island" but an entire country - a small continent, actually - or forget Crete and plan a trip to the Cyclades.

The problem with questions such as these, and the basic fallacy they are based on, is that they are asked from thousands of miles away: from the United States, Canada, Australia, etc, from where Crete looks like a small island and where distances between places look like nothing in comparison to distances between American, Canadian, and Australian cities. And from where it looks as though it's possible to skip from one island to another in no time - and see a whole island in a day, or part of a day.

I do understand that if you live on the other side of an ocean it must be tempting to try to pack as much as possible into a short vacation. But it really isn't worth trying. At least I don't think it is.

Edited: 4:26 am, April 03, 2013
3. Re: Trip from Heraklion or Rethymnon to Santorini and Mykonos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 05, 2014