We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Heraklion

NYC
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
One Day in Heraklion

My wife and I will have one day in Heraklion and need some suggestions on how to spend it. We are looking for things to do in the city or close to it, other than Knossos. We'd like to get a feel for city life on Crete and possibly see the market, eat some good food and wander around. I haven't found much info on Heraklion itself so any info is appreciated.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Heraklion

It has been years when I visited Heraklion for 2 days, and to be honest it reminded me of a large city, nothing more. There is not a feeling of an island, and it does not give any picture of the real Crete.

I would not miss the famous museum there, though.

Perhaps others can come up with suggestions.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,117 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Heraklion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraklion

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,072 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Heraklion

It is certainly true that Heraklion is a busy, lively, noisy city, but to me that is part of its charm. and of course it is the 'real Crete'

There is plenty to see there to occupy you for a day. This is pasted from my recent travel report:

<<When we got to Heraklion, we did all the touristy things – walked up the beautiful 25th August Street, had a gyros near the fountain, then walked down 1821 and 1866 streets and bought a few bits of stuff, including a new wallet with a Greek flag for me, to replace the one I’ve used on holiday for several years.

By now the main shops were closed, but we hung around for a while till they re-opened so we could have a look at some trainers (guess who wanted to do that?) I found a good bookshop at Chandakos 29, where I bought a book about the war in Crete in 1941. When I went inside to pay, it was full of maps of all parts of Greece, but I resisted the temptation to buy anything else. We made our way back to Elefterias square, full of teenagers on skateboards, enviously watched by our son, then made our way back to the bus station. >>

In addition you have the archaeological museum of course, and you can walk round part of the city walls, look round the port area etc. There are many churches and buildings which are worth a look - see G-T's Wikipedia link, which also lists lots of museums, although some of these are not in the city itself.

All in all I'm sure you will have a good day out.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Heraklion

I have been many times in Herakleion just for one day. Going to sail or to fly....

I was spending the whole day walking in the central market and doing some shopping. Eating delicious souvlaki. The best you can find in Greece. Drinking coffee with the view of the harbor, watching the ships sailing to Peireus and the old castle.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Heraklion

Hi there

I think Iraklion is a wonderful place to spend a day, it's the capital town of the island and is steeped in history. Yes, it's noisy, traffic-clogged, and bustling, but it has a charm all of it's own and whenever we visit Crete, we always spend a couple of days there.

Just invest in a good guide book such as the Rough Guide to Crete, the street map of Iraklion in there is perfectly adequate and shows all the major sights. You can walk no more than 10-12 minutes from the busy harbourfront to find yourself in the peaceful Ekaterina Square where you'll find the cathedral and the two accompanying churches. You can sit there in the shade of a Jacaranda tree and you would never, ever know you were in the heart of a city of 130,000 people.

Here are photos taken on my last trip there in late 2010..

flickr.com/photos/…

6. Re: One Day in Heraklion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 26, 2013