We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to find taxi's in Heraklion

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where to find taxi's in Heraklion

We will be visiting Heraklion by cruise ship. In the morning we have an excursion to the east of Crete and return to the ship for lunch.

In the afternoon we intend going to the city centre. Most of us will walk it but some of the group wish to take a taxi. I know there are taxi's just outside the Port Terminal but whereabout in the town are the taxi stands ? We will be walking it but I always like to know I can get a taxi back to the ship in case something crops up and embarkation time is approaching.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to find taxi's in Heraklion

on all major places are taxis, museum, market, harbor, Knossos, or just stand on a major road and stop one passing taxi with your hands.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to find taxi's in Heraklion

Hello, there are taxis everywhere, do you need one to reach the city? It is not very long to walk from the port and is flat if some peeple don't walk very well. Just wave at a driver and he will stop for you. There are many good places to have food in Irakleio, so maybe you could not go all the way back to the ship?

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to find taxi's in Heraklion

Andreas we have an excursion in the morning than in the afternoon it's planned that we walk to the city centre. Last time we were there the walk (keeping the sea on our right) took us about 20 minutes. Then it was uphill to get to the centre. I forgot the name of the road we took. It was a wide, modern looking road. Looking at the map, maybe it was Giamalaki.

Could you tell me the name of the square that seemed to be the city centre with many shops in roads leading off it ?

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to find taxi's in Heraklion

Hello, the walk is flat until you reach the end of 25 Odos Augustou, this is where you turn left and walk up the hill where there are many banks and travel offices. This is a road with no cars allowed, just peeple. At the other end of this road is Plateia Venizelou were is the center of Irakleio and Morosini fountain. This is were there are many shops and little streets.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to find taxi's in Heraklion

Hi there Hat

Andreas' directions are right on the nail, walk west along the main road from the ferry terminal, go past the bus station on the left till you come to the roundabout, turn left up the hill 25 Augustou St and follow it to the top to Venizelou Square. There's a taverna on the corner of the main road and Augustou St, I've eaten there several times and it's always been good.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to find taxi's in Heraklion

Many thanks - it's strange but I'm finding it rather difficult to follow maps of Athens, Plaka and Heraklion.

Your directions were clear so they'll be a big help.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to find taxi's in Heraklion

Thanks again. Just in case any new visitor reads this - there are plenty of taxis at the bottom of 25 Augousto Street.

Heraklion, Greece
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to find taxi's in Heraklion

Hello you can find taxi outside the arrival port lounge. the cost for taxi to center is 6 eur - the same for returning

if you are interested for any taxi tours or information about places around port visit

www.herakliontaxi.com/en/taxi-tours.html

9. Re: Where to find taxi's in Heraklion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 15, 2014