We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels and car hire

Which Heraklion hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Heraklion, Greece
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
hotels and car hire

Hi does anyone know of a reasonably priced B&B in the city we're going at the end of sept and want a couple of nights sightseeing before hiring a car. Q 2 does any one have any info on the best way to hire a car, from here or when there, a good company would help.

Thanks Lynda

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels and car hire

Hi,

The best option regarding hiring a car IMO is from the airport - pickup & drop off. There are plenty of cheaper companies in town but its a hassle to find.

Rhodes, Greece
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels and car hire

I think that would be a good idea to rent a car through a website. Currently it is low season for every travel service in Greece, so may you will find a good car rental offer for your holidays. If you wish I can post more details. About the accommodation, you can find also affordable prices. There are plenty of hotels in the center of Heraklion, where all the shops and the archaeological museum to be just a breath away. The prices per room are from 30 euros to 150 euros.

Have a nice journey!

Mary

Wales
Level Contributor
158 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels and car hire

Try europeo car hire used many times very good service and reasonable cost pick up and drop off at airport and book online.

Rhodes, Greece
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels and car hire

Paul, I know several travel agencies in Heraklion, but I think that there is no "europeo" company.

Wales
Level Contributor
158 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels and car hire

Well i ve used them ever time i have been to Crete they have base in car hire car park main base Reythmenon. Booked online and met at airport brought to car in car park and just drop off on return. www.europeocars.com website address.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels and car hire

we rented from Avis.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels and car hire

I can recommend AthensCar (http://www.athenscars-crete.gr) - they will deliver the car to a location of your choice, or you can pick-up/drop-off at the airport. On my recent trip they brought the car to my hotel in Heraklion the morning I was leaving there, and I returned to the airport the day I flew out. A Peugeot 206 with GPS was €150 for five days.

You don't want a car while you are in Heraklion - driving there is horrible, and parking is very hard to find.

Edited: 10:00 am, October 13, 2011
Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotels and car hire

I can recommend Irini Hotel in the center of Heraklion

Rhodes, Greece
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: hotels and car hire

I can recommend Irini Hotel also and Marin Dream Hotel too. I thing the second choice its better as you can find there much better view to the port and the sea of Heraklion, however may you will pay some more euros than in the first choice.

About car rental companies in Crete, you can search for affordable prices at Rentcarscrete.com (www.rentcarscrete.com). Their website includes an online booking system where you can compare prices and easy select your favorite car.

Edited: 10:18 am, October 28, 2011
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: hotels and car hire

This is a lovely hotel - quite small, VERY comfortable. I've spent three weeks there at Christmas and New Year for as long as I can remember. It's right in the centre of things, next to the pedestrian market street, so there's plenty of activity to watch. It's on a small square just across from a bus stop for the buses to Knossos, though as you're planning to hire a car, that might not interest you. I don't drive, so I know nothing about car hire, I'm afraid! It's called the Olympic:

hotelolympic.com Tel. 30 2810 288861