We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete Car Hire Companies.

Newton Stewart...
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
48 helpful votes
Crete Car Hire Companies.
Save

Looking at hiring a car in June from Heraklion Airport. Have found some excellent online prices from these companies:

mustang

athenscars

europeocars

eurocar

autotravel

rentacarcrete

Hyundai Athos around 119 euros for a week with good insurance. Anyone have any dealings with any of these local companies?

Thanks.

Leeds, United...
1 post
2 reviews
341. Re: Crete Car Hire Companies.
Save

Mustang are fantastic. Great cars, great service and great value. Their policy is the fairest on the island with no excess, no hidden rip offs and everything covered including wheels, windscreen and undercarriage. Best car hire on Crete.

Kyiv, null, Ukraine
8 posts
342. Re: Crete Car Hire Companies.
Save

We've used athenscars.gr for our recent trip and everything went excellent with them.

First of all, they had the cheapest offer, comparing to other companies. The only extra fee we paid was 20 euros for picking the car up late at night, while returning the car back at night was for free. We got a Toyota Aygo for 163 euros and it was perfect for our needs — small (easy at parking), economy in terms of the petrol and generally in a good condition.

Our flight was delayed and a company representative was patiently waiting for us for 1,5 hours at the airport. Just in 15 minutes the car was ours.They have a full insurance, so we had nothing to worry during the trip. Also the second driver option was for free.

Another great thing was that we booked the car very close to the trip — 1 or 2 days before arrival, and they were almost the only company who offered us a budget car this late.

Absolutely recommended.

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
343. Re: Crete Car Hire Companies.
Save

To any of you thinking about renting a car in Palaiochora, stay absolutely away from NOTOS.

Tldr;

NOTOS rental systematically lie to their customers about the vehicles that they are providing. When questioned about it, they become aggressive and argumentative - they threatened me on multiple occasions. DO NOT use this company to rent vehicles, to do so is condoning their disgusting behaviour.

I have never experienced such unprofessional, dishonest and abhorrent service in my entire life. It’s difficult to emphasise just how rude and aggressive the staff are, and this isn’t limited to just one of them - both Olga and the chubby little chap were immediately defensive, childish and throughly unpleasant as I attempted simply to resolve the issue and get on with my holiday. To describe this company as unprofessional is a vast understatement.

In more detail:

I rented what I was reassured was a 125cc scooter, which after noticing how much it lacked in power, researched the bike model only to discover that it was a Honda Vision, which is only available in 110cc. When I returned to the shop for clarification, I was verbally attacked and further lied to about the bike I had rented. The manager Olga was utterly polemic, uninterested in talking civilly with me to come to an agreement. This was when it became clear to me that the motorbike was not rented in error, NOTOS are systematically lying to their clients and renting lower powered vehicles. They're nothing short of con artists.

They went on to threaten to switch the bike I had with a older and less powerful bike, and became both verbally and physically aggressive when I stated this was unacceptable as I had paid for a 125cc bike and simply wanted the bike I had paid for. Olga then started on another burst of aggression and threw a barrage of accusations and threats towards me, shouting that I had not paid and she wanted the money now - this is in spite of the fact I had already paid in full less than 24 hours ago, directly to her. I explained this and passed the receipt she had given me the previous day, before she promptly sat back down without any apology or and continued not to cooperate.

Clearly this behaviour is totally unacceptable in any situation, let alone when dealing with your clients, but that this company is also chaotic and disorganised is another reason to AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS. The only thing they are interested in is taking your money.

I question the mental health of both Olga and the chubby bald guy, especially after reading here in another review about how another staff member had to physically stop him from punching a customer! This came as no surprise to me given his aggressive posturing during my interaction; at one point - completely unprovoked - he held his fist, staring me in the eye all the while muttering under his breath - no doubt Greek insults.

The initial bike was a Vision 110cc not 125cc as rented, and the replacement bike I eventually got was a Sh-mode 125cc not 150cc as promised - understandably I was not surprised when I also checked this model.

DO NOT rent from this company. I repeat, in all my life I have never experienced such unprofessional, dishonest and abhorrent service. I worry for the health of bystanders and all unfortunate clients who are subject to what I experienced. I initially thought the behaviour was simply premeditated intimidation tactics with no intent, but it became apparent during a particularly aggressive outburst that Olga and the chubby bald guy must be mentally unwell to react like this. It seems like its only a matter of time before someone in there fully loses their temper and ends up seriously hurting someone. Unless you’d like to be verbally and physically attacked, stay away from NOTOS.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
344. Re: Crete Car Hire Companies.
Save

I used Imperial last year and they were ok, the price was good but the car was slightly old. I see http://www.olympicrentacar.gr has the best price I've seen so far but their website looks old, not sure if they are so reputable and I am looking around but can't seem to find anything written about them. Does anybody have any idea if they are good?

London, United...
1 post
345. Re: Crete Car Hire Companies.
Save

Do not use Monza. They dropped the car off with next to no fuel in it then refused to compensate us for the additional fuel that was in the car when we we dropped it off with at the end of the trip - despite us showing them photo proof of the fuel gauge when we picked it up along with a receipt of for the fuel that we put in at the start of the week. Ended up costing us about 35 Euros so not necessarily the end of the world but nevertheless a dishonest, low level, low quality practice designed to extract extra cash out of their punters.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
384 posts
255 reviews
453 helpful votes
346. Re: Crete Car Hire Companies.
Save

We have recently returned from Crete and can highly recommend AUTOUNION booked via Zest Car Rental. This is by far the best car hire company we have used in our many holidays in Crete. The hire was walk in at Heraklion Airport as we were arriving via ferry from Santorini. Despite the ferry being late we eventually arrived at the car hire office, just across from arrivals by taxi from the port. Because we were late I telephoned ahead and was told not to worry as the office was open until 12pm despite my documents stated 9pm. On arrivial we were met by a lovely lady who gave us two bottles of water and a brand new hire car. In all our years of renting we have not had a brand new one and certainly not in Crete. They are usually sheds full of scratches. We had full/full and as we already have an annual insurance to cover excess etc., we were quickly on our way/ A map of the area was supplied. On our return the car was given a thorough check over for scratches etc and as there were none we were given a document to sign stating this.

Not sure a brand new car was a blessing or a bind as driving on the roads in Crete can sometimes be stressful for passengers, especially at night! My husband was fed up with me as I was afraid the car would get scratched. Although we were covered by our own excess it still didn't stop me.

Highly recommended. COST £315.89 FOR 14 NIGHTS - FULLL/FULL

Level Contributor
18 posts
347. Re: Crete Car Hire Companies.
Save

Has anyone any recommendations for car hire in or around Almyrida (near Kalyves)? We go there at the end of this month so it will still be busy. Not sure whether to book online from a recommended company or take pot luck when we get to our resort, or get a bus to Irakleion then change for Knossos? How long would it take to self drive from Almyrida to Knossos for an 0800 entry there? Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited: 4 years ago
348. Re: Crete Car Hire Companies.

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts Edited: 4 years ago
Level Contributor
18 posts
349. Re: Crete Car Hire Companies.
Save

Thank you so much for your rapid reply - I tried the website of Athenscars from a previous poster's recommendation but I found their website navigation baffling and dead-end-ish... I will check out the two companies you suggest . -i guess book in advance and not through the hotel?

I just tried to check Autorentals but Bitdefender on my iMac is barring it claiming it contains viruses?

Edited: 4 years ago
350. Re: Crete Car Hire Companies.

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts Edited: 4 years ago
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.