We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete to Rhodes by ferry in Sept/Oct?

Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Crete to Rhodes by ferry in Sept/Oct?

Hi, I hope to be in Crete in late September with my husband and catch a ferry to Rhodes. I have tried to check the various ferry websites but either there aren't any ferries on that route in late Sept/Oct or the times etc don't show up this far in advance.

I know I can go to Santorini and catch a Rhodes ferry from there but I'd prefer to do it directly from Heraklion (we'll be staying in Rethimno).

Could anyone tell me if there is a ferry that suits and the name of the company?

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Rhodes
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete to Rhodes by ferry in Sept/Oct?

Anek Lines run between Crete and Rhodes.

The website is www.anek.gr

At the moment they are only showing the timetable up until end of May, their new timetable will no doubt be out in a couple of weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crete to Rhodes by ferry in Sept/Oct?

Hi there

For your information Cyprus Airways have a service from Heraklion to Rhodes, we were going to use the Ferry service from Rhodes to Heraklion next week, but couldnt face the long ferry journey.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,864 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crete to Rhodes by ferry in Sept/Oct?

Hi,

The timetable runs about a month in advance so that means you have to wait until early September to know the schedule, however it is a regular ferry route so you can expect it to be roughly on Tue,Sat in Sept.

I have used that ferry service twice before on the 'Daliana' and the 'Vitzentos Kournaris'. Now it seems to be the 'Preveli'.

With such ferries it's best to check the local agency in Crete for tickets and exact timing.

…anek.gr/anek_prod/…Brochures_300_en.pdf

http://www.gtp.gr/

There is no reason why you can't go from Sitia, just change buses in Heraklion, and indeed it is much less touristy than Rethymnon so well worthwhile going there for the ferry rather than Heraklion.

Sitia has plenty to see in the area whilst syncing with that ferry. Zakros Gorge and archeological site of Zakros Palace, Vai etc. So if you want to get out of the usual 'recommended' tourist rut, take the ferry. Think of it as an opportunity to visit Kassos, Karpathos, Chalki the frequency is right for a stop of 2-3 days.

For 'do it as fast as possible' Olympic Air do daily flights from Heraklion/Sitia > Rhodes.

http://www.olympicair.com/

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Karpathos
Karpathos
Dodecanese, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
4. Re: Crete to Rhodes by ferry in Sept/Oct?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 29, 2012