We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will I have to wait in check in queue?

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
will I have to wait in check in queue?

Hi, I am flying from Heraklion to Newcastle airport at the beginning of July with Jet2.com, I have checked in on line & printed boarding passes but have luggage to put in the hold. In the UK we have a "drop bag off" desk but does anyone know if I will have to wait in the check in line at Heraklion Airport? thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: will I have to wait in check in queue?

I don't know about Heraklion, but in Athens you have to wait in the check-in line. The difference is, you only need to drop your bags 1 hour before the flight and by then the queue is considerably shorter. I usually queue less time in Athens at the check-in queue than I queue in London at the bag drop queue.

P.S. I notice BA have dropped the "fast" from bag drop - for obvious reasons.

Maldon, Essex, UK
Level Contributor
132 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will I have to wait in check in queue?

Depending on the time of year you used to queue up twice at Heraklion if you had hold luggage. Once to check in & then again for security to scan your bags (sometimes at another check in desk up the other end of the airport) or the other way round when the scanners were in the middle of the departure area.

As I've not travelled with hold luggage for 18 months or so I can't tell you the current status but they certainly didn't have enough check in desks for separate "priority" bookings or pre-checked flyers whenever I've flown, so I'd leave more than an hour if it's a busy weekend.

Hopefully one of the location experts will know the more up to date situation but it can get pretty crowded there on the traditional charter & package days which used to be Tues, Thus & Sun IIRC.

Pete

sligo
Level Contributor
658 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: will I have to wait in check in queue?

I would safely say that you can expect to queue. Like Pete it is 18 months since I was there last but I cannot see much having changed. Heraklion airport is small by international standards.

Bobo

4. Re: will I have to wait in check in queue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:09 am, December 12, 2010