We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursion to Knossos

Italy
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Excursion to Knossos

We will stay a couple of days at the Neptuno Beach in Ammoudara...does someone have a clue on how can we get to Heraklion center and viceversa (which is the bus linking Heraklion and Ammoudara?) and, secondly, is it worth while to book an excursion to Knossos in advance or are we rather likely to go there by bus and actually book it at the palace?

Mentioned in this post
Ammoudara Beach
Ammoudara Beach
339 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursion to Knossos

Last year we stayed at the Candia Maris in Ammoudara and asked hotel staff how to get to both Heraklion and to Knossos by local transit. They said to simply catch the local bus that runs down the main road in Ammoudara about every half hour; it took us to a small bus depot in Heraklion, near the archaelogical museum, in about 20 minutes. From there, we had to walk down a hill and around a few corners to reach a much larger bus depot, where we caught a separate bus that took us directly to Knossos (another 20 to 25-minute ride). We toured the palace ruins on our own; however, people who wanted to purchase a tour with guides could make those arrangements right at the entrance. (Sorry, but I never inquired about prices so I can't tell you what that would cost.) If you like to keep your holiday time flexible, I'd recommend just taking the buses directly to the palace and making tour arrangements there, rather than booking an excursion in advance.

The only "problem" we encountered was trying to find the depot where we were supposed to catch the bus to Knossos. It's a little confusing finding it, because it's down a hill from the first depot, about a 10-minute walk away. We noticed there were other groups of tourists who seemed lost, also trying to find the depot. Once we finally found it, we thought we had to purchase bus tickets from the depot office, so we lined up in there for nearly 15 minutes only to be told that tickets are sold at a small kiosk next to where the Knossos buses park. To spare yourselves a similar aggravation, I'd recommend keeping an eye out for the Knossos buses as you enter the depot, and then look for the ticket kiosk.

Mentioned in this post
Ammoudara Beach
Ammoudara Beach
339 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursion to Knossos

Go there by public bus , its very easy. First from Ammoudara to Heraklion central bus station and than , tranfer to the bus to Knossos. They have regular and very frequent times during the day and dont forget the museum, its probably better that the actual site.

Mentioned in this post
Ammoudara Beach
Ammoudara Beach
339 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursion to Knossos

yes!as albertdiver suggested you,the museum has fantastic items to see.

North Lanarkshire
Level Contributor
159 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursion to Knossos

Hi everyone, I will be visiting Knossos next week. I will be travelling from Ag Nik to Keraklion. I have a hired car. Should I drive or book an excursion? What would be easier or best?

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursion to Knossos

Well you can book an excursion, it makes it more interesting. You can also go by your car, but I recommend to participate in a group there that has the official guiding. It cost some extra, but it makes your visit to Knossos 100 % better. The same you can do in the museum or buy or good guide book at the reception.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,985 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursion to Knossos

I fully agree with albertdiver's recommendation to take an official guided tour of the Knossos site. We didn't do that during our visit to Knossos and thought we could simply rely on a travel guidebook I had which appeared to be good. Although my guidebook identified main places of interest on the archaeological site, it really just offered an overview and didn't provide sufficient useful detail about anything. We found ourselves wandering around the grounds wondering what a lot of things were and what they signified. When we passed some of the groups that had hired guides at the front gate, we heard the guides providing very interesting information about what the tourists were seeing, and regretted that we had not joined a tour. We still had fun, but would have enjoyed our visit far, far more had we toured the site with someone knowledgeable who could have explained what we were seeing.

We couldn't visit the museum since it was closed by the time we got back into Heraklion, but we heard from quite a few tourists that it was extremely worthwhile to visit, and some people thought it was better than visiting the actual Knossos site.

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
North Lanarkshire
Level Contributor
159 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excursion to Knossos

Thank you Albertdriver, you are always good with your information.

Crete, Greece
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Excursion to Knossos

You don't say when you will be in Crete so I am not sure you have already left. The number 7 bus (Amoudara) runs every 15 minutes from the city center (Astoria Hotel) to Amoudara and returns back to the city center just as frequently. No need to book an excursion to Knossos if you have read up on the Minoan history. You can just pay at the ticket booth there and enter...this time of year the tourists are mostly gone and you should get right in. Don't expect to see the Minoan treasures there (most tourists make that mistake) as they are lovingly preserved at the Archeological museum at the city center...just across from Astoria Hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Amoudara
Amoudara
Crete, Greece
letterkenny, co...
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excursion to Knossos

just get a taxi to knossos.

do the tour. pay for a guide - it is worth it.

do not eat in the knossos. it is rip off.

walk across the street to one of the many tavernas there. all good value. eat and drink there. and ring a taxi from there back to your hamlet.

nuff said. end of knossos tour. no money paid. enough said! :-)