We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help!

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Hotel help!

Me and 3 friends have booked flights for 2sept to 9th sept but have yet to find a hotel! or even figure out which part to stay in!

We'd like to be in Heraklion because that's the main touristy place but we dont want to stay in a dingy motel style place! Can anybody recommend an area/ hotel to stay in? (we like beaches and shopping but will not be partying all day everyday, only on occasion) (and by non dingy motel type we mean CLEAN, cleaned EVERYDAY, fresh towels and it would be a really nice bonus if the bathroom was spacious but it must be CLEAN!!!)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help!

Heraklion is NOT the main touristy place... it is a big bustling CITY of business, rather ugly concrete buildngs throughout, awful traffic, NO beaches). If you have a charter flight booked into Heraklion, figure out how to get OUT as fast as possible!

If you like partying, you should head East of Heraklion where most of the UK package-tour places are ... but these can be over-the-top, full of Lager Louts, so beware. One frequenter poster here has often mentioned a desirable alternative and I quote him -- check your map for the exact location:

"You also might want to look at Anissaras, a small coastal village 3kms west of Hersonissos. It has a great, wide sandy beach, safe bathing for kids as there is a rocky shelf a few metres from the shoreline which stops them accessing deeper water, several bars and restaurants, a couple of shops and car hire places. The village is relatively peaceful although there are a couple of large hotels there that have been built over the last few years.

"Anissaras is too small to show on most maps but it is roughly halfway between Hersonissos and Gouves.

(NOTE: here is a huge map-- click on it to enlarge -- http://66.29.86.75/crete-maps/Crete-eot.png

which does not show the villge..but a small brown road leading to where it must be).

Lots of UK tour operators offer holidays to Anissaras where there are lots of apartments. The newest lux hotel is the Annabelle Village which was built about 3 years ago to a high spec although I don't know what the rates are like."

ANOTHER beach alternative to ugly Heraklion is Ammoudara, just 4 KM WEST of Heraklion -- friends recommended it. A website w. some lodging options:

greeka.com/crete/…heraklion-amoudara-all.htm

.. a plus here is tht it's linked to Heraklion with a frequent city bus if u want to shop or party there!

but DO NOT stay IN heraklion.

"

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help!

Sorry I didn't mean in the actual city of Heraklion.. I meant the area that is Heraklion since i thought the island was split into the 4 areas Heraklion, Chania, Rethymnon and Agios!

Although we are 20 we don't actually want to stay with the actual larger louts.. only to be in reach with that area incase we do feel like a bit of partying :)

Thank you so much for your information on Anissaras and Ammoudara :) I will look into it now :)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel help!

Hi there

You must have posted twice as I've already echoed jan's sentiments concerning Iraklion on the duplicate thread. Fine for a day or two to see all the sights but not as a base.

Crete is divided into four prefectures, Chania, Rethymno, Iraklion and Lassithi ( which includes Agios Nikolaos).

Do check out my recommendation for Anissaras-we've stayed there many times and always enjoy it immensely.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel help!

Sploosh, you posted this query TWICE with slightly diff headings -- and GB answered under your other heading ... he's the guy who gave the Annisos details before .. did you u think we wouldn't notice if you posted only once? :-) Anyway, Glad that my advice coincides with his - HE is the expert on East Crete.

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel help!

Looking through posts Stalis seems like quite a nice place to stay.. close to the nightlife of malia and to the city of hersonissos but with very few hotels avaliable in the area! Anyone with opinions on this?

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel help!

oppsie and sorry about the other post! i thought the crete and herak forum were unrelated :( Thanks for your post too GBfromDevizes!

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel help!

also googling Iraklion it seems like quite a site seeing place while we're after more of a touristy uncultural place lol Anissaras seems like a wonderful place to stay though

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel help!

Hi again

Stalis IS a decent resort, way bigger than Anissaras but with corresppondingly more in the way of bars, restaurants, shops, nightlife and so on. Stalis has a huge beach and lots of accommodations to suit all pockets. As you say correctly, it sits halfway between the party towns of Malia and Hersonissos, which, if I had to choose between, Hersonissos would get the vote for a good night out.

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel help!

Stalis sounds perfect! Could you recommend any hotels in or around Stalis or Anissaras? We are also students so we're not exactly expecting a high class hotel.. if it helps our budget is around 100 pounds each (so around 400 altogether) we'd also quite like to try out water sports and was wondering if you'd know how much that would cost around?

10. Re: Hotel help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 08, 2009