We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matala - good place to stay?

bc, canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Matala - good place to stay?

My husband and I are travelling in September to Crete. We aren't planning to rent a car. We like nice beaches and peace and quiet and are looking for moderately priced accommodation. Would Matala be a nice town to visit? Is it accessible by bus? Any recommendations for accommodation? Is there a different city which might be better?

Thanks

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matala - good place to stay?

The bus link is bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetables.html

Also try Agi-Galini which is only a short walk to Malata if I recall? Anyway if you do a google on them you will find out alot on them. I 'm going there in Sept. and will probably take some hotel info with me and then take it from there. From what I hear you can get a good price if ask for a deal. Then again, if I see something on line, I may just book it.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matala - good place to stay?

I looked on the map and they are a least a few miles apart.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matala - good place to stay?

Hi

Agia Galini is a lot more than a short walk from Matala. You have to get a bus from Ag. Galini, change buses at Festos then get the bus to Matala. Approximately 25 kms between the two villages..

You can get to Matala by bus from Heraklion. The bus to Agia Galini is direct & takes just over one hour.

Matala is a nice enough village with a nice main beach & a couple of secluded beaches over the hills. There is a nice village called Pitsidia to visit a short distance away.

Agia Galini has much better connections by bus to other places. eg. Heraklion, Rethimno, Spili, Timbaki, Vori, Mires.

Agia Galini is a bit more touristy than Matala &there is more thereto see & do & there is a picturesque harbour too.

Personally I would prefer to stay in Agia Galini than Matala.

bc, canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Matala - good place to stay?

Thank you all for your comments. This was very helpful. My husband has been having some health problems and we are not less mobile then we were when we booked the flights.

5. Re: Matala - good place to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, September 08, 2009