We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Elounda

Which Elounda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle
Level Contributor
55 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Living in Elounda

Hi is there any ex pats living in Elounda. My husband and I are retiring to the beautiful resort next year. We are still in our fifties so want to enjoy some early retirement sunshine.

We want to rent a little house.

Any information would be a great help.

Thanks

Vera

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Elounda

Hi there

We don't live in Elounda but have a property between Agios nikolaos and Elounda, for your info there is more ex pats that live in the area around Agios than there is in Elounda which does tend to close down during the winter months as its a bit more of a tourist resort, my advice would be to look at renting some where that has an all year round population like Agios...rather than elounda which is like a ghost village in the winter ..

Also have you ever been to Crete in the winter ? It can be very cold and definitely wet too so it's not a good climate in the winter if you want sunshine all year, although its definitely better than the uk..:-)

. I can recommend a good reliable family estate agents Buy and Sell who are based in Agios they will give you excellent local information, or am happy to answer any queries via private messages:-)

Edited: 5:07 pm, April 16, 2013
Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Elounda

Forgot to say that the largest ex pat community in Crete is based around Chania so if that is important to you then it's probably better to look at the Chania area

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Elounda

Sorry forgot have a look at the web site Brits in Crete some excellent info on this site, TA tends to cater for tourists not people who want to purchase or rents property long term :-)!

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Elounda

I would agree that Chania is your best bet. You are wise to rent - for at least a full year, so that you see how you get on through one full cycle, including winter but also the long, hot summer. Also, don't burn your bridges behind you: if you own a house in the UK, hang onto it in case retiring to the sun doesn't work out and you want to come back. I've known people who didn't do that, and regretted it.

Brits in Crete is a useful website:

http://www.britsincrete.net/

So is this estate agent's site, which has a lot of good information:

http://www.crete-perfect-home.com/

They have a lot of rental properties as well as properties for sale: have a look here:

crete-perfect-home.com/west-crete-properties…

Edited: 6:12 pm, April 16, 2013
newcastle
Level Contributor
55 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in Elounda

I thank you so much for your help, I have taken everything on board and we will do our research.

We are coming to Elounda in the summer again!!!!! with a huge list of questions.

I think the best way to find out info is from brits actually living there.

Any help would be most grateful. We want to do this while we are still young enough and healthy to enjoy our retirement, my husband and I are both 56.

Thanks again

Vera

newcastle
Level Contributor
55 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Living in Elounda

I thank you so much for your help, I have taken everything on board and we will do our research.

We are coming to Elounda in the summer again!!!!! with a huge list of questions.

I think the best way to find out info is from brits actually living there.

Any help would be most grateful. We want to do this while we are still young enough and healthy to enjoy our retirement, my husband and I are both 56.

Thanks again

Vera

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Living in Elounda

I am so jealous, I would love to live in Elounda, but the time isn't right just now. We have Greek friends who live in the village and they love the place out of season. Although not all the tavernas stay open, a number do and the residents of the village catch up with each other and enjoy having the place to themselves for a few months, the village does not close down.

The people running the bookshop, opposite the Hellas Bar, the name escapes me as usual, would be able to give you good advice, pop in when you next visit

Good luck and keep us up to date with your adventure

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Living in Elounda

Hi Vera

Yes I agree with you, I am sure that Brits in crete forum would be very happy to answer specific questions, I know when we purchased our property they were very helpful. There is also a few regular posters on this forum who live in the Agios/ELounda area.

Good luck :-)

newcastle
Level Contributor
55 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Living in Elounda

Thanks Debs, I agree.We wont mind quiet in the winter at all. Can any one tell me if we need residents permits, if so where do we get them from and is there a cost?. Obviously we will do our reseasrch before hand, but would be nice if we had an idea.

Again any help or tips would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you all very much

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Living in Elounda

Hi again

I would suggest that you need to get more info from "people who actually live in Crete" on the Brit in Crete web site, I only live in Crete part time as still working part time ... But I would stress please do spend time in Crete in the winter as its very very different .... And until you have spent time in Crete during the winter you can't imagine how it is... don't make any decisions especially on second hand information, it's too important..... Rent a property in Elounda before selling your uk property.... Good luck hope it all goes well

Get answers to your questions about Elounda