We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire from airport to Elounda

Which Elounda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
239 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
car hire from airport to Elounda

We have booked our stay directly with Portobello apartments this summer so our money goes directly to the owners and not travel company. However, this means we have to arrange our own transport to Elounda. We are planning on hiring a car so we can also visit relatives in Maleme. Can anyone advise best way to organise car hire eg book an aiport company or a local Elounda one.

Thanks for any suggestions

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire from airport to Elounda

Hi there

There are lots of Elounda car hire companies and I would suggest you contact them direct via email - very often they are happy for you to give them cash/credit card on collection of the car at the airport, rather than pay via a website.

For your information - we use a company based in Agios Nikolaos the next town, called Club Cars and have done so for the last few years, but we have used other companies in the past and never had a problem with any of the local companies, as a guide you should look at paying around 24 euros per day for an A class car.

Scotland
Level Contributor
239 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire from airport to Elounda

Thanks for your quick reply.

We really appreciate advice. We've been to Elounda 3 times before but never hired a car.

Last visit was 18 years ago - hope it's not changed too much.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire from airport to Elounda

Hi again

Gosh 18 years ago....I dont think you will see that many changes (although I have only been going to this area of Crete for 10 years ) - so not too many changes in ELounda itself, but you will see huge changes in Plaka (opposite Spinalonga) since the novel by Victoria Hislop and then the Mega Greek TV series of this book, the sleepy village of Plaka is now far more geared to tourist buses and tourists, and all the dilapidated buildings around the village have been renovated...

Probably one of the biggest changes that we have seen since we have been visiting is the nationality of the tourists....for the last 5 plus years we have seen a year on year increase in the amount of Russians coming to this Crete, they are also purchasing lots of property in the area too....so thats probably the main difference.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday :-) and if I can be of any further help then please do just ask

Edited: 1:32 pm, March 17, 2013
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire from airport to Elounda

As MG has pointed out, the greatest change is in Plaka, sadly. It is no longer the sleeply little village it was, there has been constant building work and I wonder how long it will take before Plaka just merges into Elounda to form one huge resort, that's when I shall stop visiting.

I can't think of any changes in Elounda, maybe the beach walk has been tidied up a bit and of course some tavernas have closed, some opened. The traffic is heavier, as it is everywhere, as many visitors can't go anywhere without a car, even locally, but thankfully it has remained unchanged

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire from airport to Elounda

Yes Debs with the building of the luxury villas in the small village of Tsifliki (between Plaka and, Elounda) - I bet they have an amazing view across to Spinalonga - and I believe an amazing price guide too :-)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire from airport to Elounda

I wish they would learn from the mistakes of other places in Greece and other countries and realise that they are going to spoil the area and destroy it's character, but I suppose to developers they just see profit and loss, such a shame.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire from airport to Elounda

The good thing about planning in Greece is that you have to have a specific size of plot for a specific size of house or villa, so unlike places like Spain where they can build a massive villa on a relatively small plot of land and right next door to another...so "hopefully" it wont become over developed - and with the current economy not much is selling anyway

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire from airport to Elounda

It might be more convenient to book with an airport car hire company if you are returning the car to the airport. I presume you're flying in and out of Heraklion (though quite a drive from Maleme, so, maybe Chania?) We're picking up our hire car at Heraklion airport from a company called Anna Cars (http://www.annacars.gr/) - there's also Athens cars (http://www.athenscars-crete.gr/car-hire/). Both these companies include all insurances in with their rentals (zero excess) - and there are many, many others. Hope you have a great trip.

Cockermouth, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car hire from airport to Elounda

We have travelled to Crete many times and always use Eagle Cars in Elounda. Never had any problems, and always receive friendly service.

From their website ( http://www.eloundarentacar.com/ )contact details are:-

office main street phone: +30 28410 41909

katevati street phone: +30 28410 42161

Scotland
Level Contributor
239 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car hire from airport to Elounda

Thanks to all for help and advice re car hire in July.

We are flying in and out of Heraklion but are spending about 10 days in Elounda and then

driving over to Maleme to visit family before returning to Heraklion for flight home.

Have been to east coast 5 times but more recently visited the north west to visit family

so really looking forward to returning to Elounda.

Thanks again for advice.

Get answers to your questions about Elounda