We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant ranking

Bristol
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant ranking

Anyone know how the ranking system for restaurants works? I see that Anemomylos (my favourite taverna) is now ranked number 2 & Lotus Eaters which has been a long time number 1 is now number 3. Just curious.

Mike

Edited: 5:47 am, August 25, 2012
Hastings, England...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant ranking

Seems to be ranked by number of votes, so ranked by popularity........which is not always an indication of quality.

Poppy's which is number 16 is a snack bar. I personally enjoy sitting in Poppy's drinking a bear and eating snacks, it's a lovely place but it is not a restaurant.

CO.DOWN
Level Contributor
566 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant ranking

I think it depends on the amount of reviews for each. So i believe if i do a review on a place and give it 5 stars and its the first review, then it will get a 5 star rating. Then it may go down and up depending on how others review it. If no one else reviews it then it stays a 5 star. But i only asumme this is how the rating system works. But what are ratings really worth, say a chef or some of the staff move on or ownership changes. A place can only be rated on how you enjoyed or did not on any given visit. P.S. Poppys does a great bear, but i much prefer their beer.

Edited: 6:19 am, August 25, 2012
CO.DOWN
Level Contributor
566 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant ranking

Only having a bit of fun Gary, Poppys is a great little spot, lovely people.

Elounda, Greece
Level Contributor
184 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant ranking

It's all a bit of a mystery. It seems that a restaurant only needs one bad review or even a few average reviews for it to fall several places in the rankings. So a few mailicious or disgruntled people can completely alter the "league table". This is a shame because there is a lot at stake for the restaurants. Many tourists are convinced that the only places worth visiting are those high up on TA. Perhaps TA could publish how the rankings work?

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant ranking

Hi there

I always think it should be used as a very "general" guide.....as some of the best places that I have eaten in arent even on the site, Have a look at the link below...may help :-)

tripadvisor.co.uk/help/how_do_traveler_ratin…

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant ranking

TA have their own algorithm for ratings which determines how restaurants, accommodation and attractions are ranked. They keep it a closely guarded secret, they could tell you, but then they'd have to kill you...;0)

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant ranking

:-)

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant ranking

I gave a restaurant in Skiathos 5/5, it was the first review for it as I had to request it to be added.

It is currently (with just my 5 star review) #99 out of 136 restaurants in Skiathos.

So it must be some mix of number of reviews and number of stars given.

I do like to read the restaurant reviews for places I'm going to visit but I don't automatically assume that the top ranked ones are the best.

For example if someone waxes lyrical about the pizza or Sunday lunch they had, I'm likely to give it a miss.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,117 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant ranking

I think if there are only a few reviews but they are all 5*, then the place will be lower than somewhere with a lot of reviews where, say, there are 50 5* and 5 4*. Which is fair enough really. I also think more recent ratings are given a higher weighting - again, fair enough.

But I can't begin to fathom out exactly how they do it...

EDIT

Crossposted with prettypolly, who confirms my first point.

Edited: 7:09 am, August 25, 2012
Bristol
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant ranking

Thx all for your thoughts. It's not a big deal & when TA start talking about "complicated algorithms" I figure life's too short lol.

In less than 3 weeks I'll be in Elounda for my 6th visit & I know which tavernas I'll be eating at (we all have our favourites).

Edited: 10:54 am, August 25, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Elounda