We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

elounda virgin!!!!

somerset england
4 posts
Save Topic
elounda virgin!!!!

Hi

am due in elounda in a weeks time, never flown, never been abroad!!!

How will my daughters and l get on?

We're going self catering in a studio apartment.

would appreciate feed back.

thanx

jools

Ryde Isle of Wight...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: elounda virgin!!!!

Hi - was in Elounda last week. Wonderful place - very nice for children too. Many Greek families with children on the beach and around the square in the evening. We were self catering and found so many nice places to eat out. Beaches are lovely - If you venture to Ag Nik go to Alemros beach which has both on the beach and in the water play areas for kids. You can catch bus to Ag Nik and walk through the town to the beach - about 15mins. - This is a lovely sandy beach with shallow clear water. You will love it!!

Don't forget plenty of Mozzie spray as I got taken unawares and was bitten on first night , early eve before I had applied! I found the bands great as the spray can be harsh on kids skin.

Coach transfer is about 2 1/2 hours - think I would arrange a taxi if going again - but is worth it as you see all the nightclubbers head off in the direction of Malia - pretty hectic from what I saw of it!! Have a wonderful time. We will definitely go back

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: elounda virgin!!!!

We went to Plaka just around the bay from Elounda about 5-10mins by car. Where are you staying? It was a brilliant place and we loved it in Elounda, we felt very safe and so did our girls. Great restaurants, few nice shops, jewellery and even a fur coat shop very strange! One restaurant opposite the beach did a Greek evening bbq which ended up in a bit of a disco and we had teenage girls at the time and they loved it. Even a small market during the week but I cant remember the day. Spinalonga the leper island is worth a visit as it is very interesting, need to take a drink with you tho. and book through local firms or if you go to Plaka there is a smaller boat there that takes you from the jetty much cheaper. You can get a bus (from the centre of Elounda) to PLaka, 5 mins away and 'cheap as chips'. As you go from Elounda to Plaka there is a small beach that you have to walk down and they do some water activities like canoes etc. apart from the beach in Elounda which is nice and clean. and then you can walk the opposite way towards Ag Nik and there are little lagoonsbeaches there as I remember which are very quiet. Ag Nik is lovely to visit especially at night when all the lights are on around the lake with sometimes entertainment there. Elounda is a long way from the airport though and if you can afford to take taxi fares into your costs there and back it would be worth it as it cuts the journey in half what with all the drop offs and pick ups. Make sure you negotiate a price before taking the taxi. We found our coach took ages and was almost as long as the flight from Gatwick (it just felt like it at 1.00a.m.). Hope all that helps and

have a great holiday!!

Mentioned in this post
Plaka
Plaka
Crete, Greece
Spalding
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: elounda virgin!!!!

Hi Jools

Weve been going to AG Nik for the last 2 years and are gioing to Elounda in Sept.

I agree with all that has been said Elounda is V pretty around the harbour.

Good restaurant in AG NIK is La Strada your girls will love it.

Get a coffe at the Athena next to the harbour in AG NIK and watch the people go by brill.

Have a great hOl.

Pete

Gloucester
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: elounda virgin!!!!

Hi

Have just returned after 2 weeks in Elounda

We went to La Strada in Ag Nik twice and they were the best and cheapest meals we had - absolutely excellent

I also found Jannis Rock and Blues bar down by harbour in Ag Nik - they play 70/80's rock and blues all the time - just like being a student again - great!

wales
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: elounda virgin!!!!

Yes i got the coach tranfer from the airport this year and the journey was long but how can you get a taxi if there are four of you and also 4 cases (teenage girls and both have huge cases!) we wont fit will we??

ideas please and don't say two taxis as it will cost a fortune! x

Get answers to your questions about Elounda