We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plaka

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
133 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Plaka

Visited Elounda last year and went on the Happy train. It went through Plaka which looked lovely, but it didnt stop. Can anyone tell me if it will stop if you ask it too, or should when I visit again in September just get a cab? Also where is the best palce there to eat?

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
295 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plaka

Oh the Happy Train - we had it for our wedding reception last year!!. No he cannot stop as it would take trade away from the Taxi Drivers. Just catch the Plaka bus in the square - every half an hour or grab a cab. Not sure about names of restaurants but plenty of nice fish!!. Have fun in Elounda I am so envious!!! Say hello to the lovely train driver from me!!!

elounda crete
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Plaka

a very good place to eat is paralia owned by george and maria he will also play on his bazouki if he's had a few rakis lovely food and not expensive with beautifull views of spinalonga islan accross the water

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
133 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plaka

Just wanted to say thanks to greecemonkey (great name!) and mojo for the info-counting the days!!!!

North East UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Plaka

I like the idea of the happy train!

Greecemunkie, would you be able to tell me the cost of hiring the happy train. I'm getting married on 2nd June in Elounda, at the Elounda Beach Hotel and would like to transport the guests to a taverna, via the happy train. How many people does it hold?

Does it stop in Elounda Square and go to Ag Nik, as i'm thinking of having my hen night in Ak Nig. Thanks for any info you can give me!

Cheers Phines x

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
295 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plaka

Hello phines - you wouldn't want to travel on the happy train from Elounda to Ag Nik - not unless you had a death wish ! the roads are so winding and steep I don't think the train would make it.

Our lovely friends at the Avli arranged the train for us as they know the driver - but it caused quite a commotion in the square when we went past he probably does it all the time now. i do know he had to book it as a private party so as not to annoy the taxi drivers. his office is near Dimitris in the aquare. We had 17 guests who were seated comfortably and there was still lots of room to spare it was fab!! if I remember rightly it cost about 150 euros - id need to check with the hubbie to be precise. have you decided where to hold your reception, also have you been to Elounda before - how's the paperwork coming along?? have fun and enjoy you will have a great time!!

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Plaka

We LOVED the Happy Train! I daydream of Elounda and our trips to Plaka on scooter. Trying to persuade my husband to emigrate there. I love Crete!!!!

If it's the same fella driving as we had, he gets really grumpy if you ask to stop off.

Hire a scooter and make sure you go to Kolikithea and don't miss Spinalonga. I am totally in love with the place.

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
295 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plaka

The train driver isn't actually allowed to stop - as this would take trade from the taxi's - it's just the way it is i'm afraid. Hope you enjoy the ride!!!

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Plaka

That would explain it then!!!!!!!

I wish I was there now.

X

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plaka

Phines.... where did you decide to hold the wedding reception??

North East UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Plaka

Hi everyone, thanks for all the info!

Our wedding is on the 2nd of June and we'll be there for a week before that, so hopefully that'll give some time to find a nice taverna. (decided to have a reception back in the uk afterwards) The floating one looks nice, begins with a K!

I like I said, none of our party have ever been to Elounda or Crete before! One of my bridesmaids could only get booked up in Ag Nik, so having the hen nite there, again a lot of the plans wont unfold until we arrive! Havent a clue how far away Ag Nik is from us!

Having trouble finging a detailed resort map, so I can work out how far everyone will be away from us in various parts of Elounda. Think the mobile phone reception will be ok?

Cheers Jo x

Paperwork is all sorted now thanks. We used a full translation service with a lady called Androula, based in London. Bit more expensive, but stress free!

Shame about the happy train just being for short trips, looks fantastic.

Get answers to your questions about Elounda