We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on day trip to Paleochora, Elafonissi

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Help on day trip to Paleochora, Elafonissi

I'm staying in Chania town for 4 days in two weeks: 11-15 October.

I'll have a car to explore the beauty of western Crete and have made Elafonissi beach the primary destination, and likely Paleochora.

Can anyone give advice on such a trip, including places to stop off to see along the way. Milia interests me. Is that worthwhile?

Also, can anyone recommend the best route and a place to buys a good road map?

Feel free to suggest other destinations. We're not necesarily settled on just one day trip. But we do plan to walk/hike the Samaria Gorge, so I'd guess the other two days would be spent relaxing and exploring the Old Town.

J&W
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
599 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on day trip to Paleochora, Elafonissi

We stayed at Elafonissi beach in May for couple nights. The first taverna had accommodation across the street for 30E a night (second place up from the beach, do not remember the name). There is a small island you can walk to and at the far end up the hill is a very amazing look out. The sunset gets swallowed up by the sea. You might want a flashlight to make the walk back easier after.

Have a nice day at the beach, get cleaned up and go for a good late dinner at the taverna. I would call that a great day. We were not disapointed with anything we ordered, all very good food.

They will give you a map with your car. I would take the coastal route down there. The road has many switch backs but is in good shape, follow the speed limit and you will have no problems.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on day trip to Paleochora, Elafonissi

Hi

Being based in Chania, a day trip to Paleochora and Elafonissi will not leave any time for other stop-offs. The road from Chania to Paleochora is OK but very twisty and if a recall when we drove it a few years ago, it's an 80 km+ drive. Take the main highway west out of Chania to Tenronitis where you then turn left onto the main route to Paleochora.

Once you've seen the sights of Paleochora, the route to Elafonissi is VERY rural and even twistier. Basically, the way we went was to head back towards Kandanos on the road back to Chania, then bear left a couple of km's before the town and head for Strovles. Follow the road through this village for another 2km to a junction where you turn left which will take you through Elos and Vathy to Kouneni where the decent road finishes.

Here, you pick up the dirt road to Chrissoskalitisas Monastery from where it'sseveral more km's south to Elafonissi on a very rough road.

Don't get me wrong - if you're not in a rush it's a great drive but as I say, other than maybe a quick pull-over to take photos, you won't have much change left from your day.

In the UK,we have the AA (Automobile Association) who publish a great guide to Crete which comes with a very high quality road map.Maybe you have a similar organisation in the US? Also, a company called Road Editions make relaible road maps of all the major Greek Islands. Again,they are freely available here but I don't know about the US. Check out Amazon and see what they have on offer.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
363 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on day trip to Paleochora, Elafonissi

I also recommend visiting Therisso village (near Chania). The road is constructed inside a gorge, this making the (short) drive really amazing.

There are also some good restaurants (tavernas) there, mainly visited by locals.

paleohora
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on day trip to Paleochora, Elafonissi

You can start early from hania and after one hour+,you will arrive in Elafonisi.If you plan to stay there,there plenty of rooms,no need to reservve in advance.If you want to visit Paleohora,you will one more hour drive from Elafonisi.Directions you will ask on spot.Paleohora is a good place to make day trips as well.Elafonissi,Sougia,Sammaria Gorge etc

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on day trip to Paleochora, Elafonissi

Many thanks to you all for your replies. I'll be visiting in 10 days!

Samaria Gorge, Elafonissi, Paleachora,a few smaller villages here and there and, of course, Chania town where I'll be based.

Cheers!

6. Re: Help on day trip to Paleochora, Elafonissi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 18, 2009