We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Crete

Monroe, Michigan
2 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Crete

We are starting to plan our wedding and honeymoon. It is going to be a May wedding in 2008. We have it narrowed down to a few travel destinations, and I am favoring Crete. Does anyone have any tips as to the most couple friendly / romantic cities, villages, or hotels on the Island? I had done many college papers on the archaeology of Crete, but know very little about the present day cities.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Crete

Hi

My favourite destination on Crete would have to be Elounda. It sits a couple of miles north of Agios Nikolaos and is laid back with a maturer clientele than many of the other resorts on the island. It has first class hotels and restaurants and has a lively nightlife without going over the top or being too frenetic. It has a superb beach and plenty of good shops.

You are close to Plaka which boasts the finest fish restaurants on Crete and of course, Spinalonga island is just across the water. There's nothing more romantic than sitting in Plaka, dining al fresco on a warm evening, watching the sunset and gazing across to Spinalonga.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Crete

In my opinion two places are the best for couples in Crete..Chania town and elounda area...one of the most famous honeymoon hotel in tripadvisor is palazzio di pietro at chania which is definetely lovely place inb the historic town or casa delfino check them

http://www.palazzodipietro.com/

http://www.casa-leone.com/

at elounda you can find many resort type hotels ....like blue palace and alounda beach....

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Crete

here are some sights of the modern history

www.culture.gr/cgi-bin/showfr.cgi… (historical and folk art museum)

www.culture.gr/cgi-bin/showfr.cgi… (museum of gonia monastery)

www.culture.gr/cgi-bin/showfr.cgi… (fragocastelo)

lancashire
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Crete

through Elounda77.net a couple were heped out with a proposal.

There may be some ideas on there for you.

p094.ezboard.com/felounda77frm2.showMessage…

Ab.

crete
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Crete

Hi,

I am an archaeology graduate living on crete right now. I have to say for myself that Elounda is not all it is said to be-highly overpriced too. Although most of the Minoan archaeology is in the eastern part, the western part of the island offers much more variety. Romantic spot besides the Venitian harbour and old town in Chania? Aptera , layers of histroy at your feet and breathtaking view! Don't miss out on the Kommos site near Pitsidia, and if there, do go to Matala-not glamorous in any sense, but worth seeing the roman graves carved on the rock by the beach that were inhabbited by hippies from all over the world in the 60's. My favourite? Palaiochora-great beaches, pure landscape, and very affordable!

lancashire
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Crete

anthi, Elounda is only overpriced if you are stupid enough to pay boutique prices. I visit 2 to 4 times a year, it's a perfect base.

I pay £80 a week for my share of 2 person accomodation. high season. no pool or bar but a 5* view of the bay.

AB

7. Re: Honeymoon in Crete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:07 pm, October 15, 2006
8. Re: Honeymoon in Crete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 17, 2009