We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chania in June

London, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Chania in June

We are a family of 3 and have booked a week in June at Chania.

Our budget doesn't allow us to rent a car for the whole week and decided to rent a car for only 3 days. I am thinking to use the car for a day trip to Paleochora on day 1, to Heraklion on day 2 and am open to any suggestions for day 3.

We will also be looking to visit a traditional village not far from Chania, so any suggestions on this are welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
706 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chania in June

Unfortunately any "traditional" villages close to Chania are likely to be full of tourists. I would advise that you invest in a good map of the area and pick out a few out of the way places. Bear in mind that properly traditional villages will be very quiet, if not deserted during the day, especially between 12:00 and 16:00, and you may find that cafenion and taverna owners are having a siesta ready for the evenings work.

Sunflower Publication's "Landscapes of Western Crete" contains several suggested car tours and picnic trips which may provide inspiration. Why not visit Vouves and see the "Oldest olive tree in the world"?

If you do visit tourist destinations you can be reasonably sure of the availability of refreshments (and tollets!)

Mentioned in this post
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chania in June

I wonder when I read that you want to "visit a traditional village" what is your idea or assumption of what a traditional village would be like. It's not a trick question, I was just curious when I read your question.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chania in June

I have to politely disagree with #1. There are many villages inland from Chania that are still working villages and not given over to tourism. Siesta doesn't start until after lunch, around 3pm and lasts until around 5 or 6pm.

A very beautiful drive is through the mountains to Hora Sfakion on the south coast. This will take you through the attractive large village of Vrisses and across the high plateau of Askifou which is as traditional as it gets.

Mentioned in this post
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chania in June

Hi there

I'd visit Iraklion on the bus and save the car for another day's exploring around Chania. The drive to Iraklion is easy enough but traffic in the city is crazy and parking spaces like gold dust. It takes about 2 hrs 45 mins on the bus, not that much slower than a car and of course, you sit high up and have a great view of everything around you. Buses run hourly and one way fare to Iraklion is just under €14. The buses are comfortable coaches, with air con.

Mentioned in this post
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chania in June

Once you leave the coastal strip and head even a little into the hills, all villages are "traditional", i.e. they're not there to service tourists, because tourists don't go there. (Though they may not meet your expectations, whatever they are.)

You don't need a recommendation: just point the car in a southerly direction, and after a few miles you will be in a different place, a different time. Drive slowly along, and when you come to a village you may see a cafeneion. Stop and have a coffee, and people will talk to you.

Edited: 7:52 am, May 30, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chania in June

PS Agree with GB: no need to use the car for Heraklion. It will just be in the way. You won't need it in the city; everything you'll want to see is within short walking distance, and it's easy to get to Knossos on the public bus.

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chania in June

I agree with the suggestion to use the bus to go to Heraklion. The bus system is very good in Crete. If I had a car for a day, I would go to areas close to Chania that I am interested in: Aptera, the Botanical garden, and some fairly close villages that I have seen mentioned in trip reports. I suggest looking through old trip reports. I got many ideas from them for my first visit to Crete.

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
996 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chania in June

Hi,

I beleive the best way is to go by bus to Heraklion (there are bus every hour) and visit there the museums on foot (archeological, historical or a great place for kids the Natural History Museum with earthkakes simulations) and the minoan palace by bus if you still want to go.

About the traditional villages of Hania, the ones who are by the sea side are in deed touristic but as soon as you enter in the mainland you will find plenty of them.About some villages around Hania, you can go towards the direction of Apokoronas Region and have a coffe to the old village of Armenoi (by the river), walk in Stylos, drive to Ramni from Mahairoi, Pemonia and continue to Drakona (for eating in Dounias taverna, the best slow food cooked in a wooden owen ) and come back from therisso gorge. You will do a long cercle into the most nontouristic area, between the traditionnal villages full of life.

There is also a public bus going to Paleohora so you can take the car to explore the region of Ayia EIRini gorge and souyia, or Sfakia (to Askifou Plateau, Anopoli-the shepherds village, Aradaina gorge).

Keep the car for regions that no bus is helpful and you discover more than you think !

Mentioned in this post
Dounias
Dounias
881 Reviews
Crete, Greece
9. Re: Chania in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 02, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Chania Town