We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling alone

cyprus
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
travelling alone

Hi

I would be grateful of any advice as to places to stay and go in crete. I am travelling alone and do not want to be too isolated but have the opportunity to meet people as well as walk around on my own . I am flying into chania. Are there any decent central hotels ....I want to access the beach, old town ....but need it relaxed.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,870 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling alone

Personally, I would stay in the Old Town itself. There's always a buzz (or at late or early hours, at least a hum!) of activity. Look around for areas towards the harbour, and I don't think you can go too far wrong.

I don't know what your budget is, nor what you mean by decent, but we stayed at this lovely little gem in the Old Town. It as spacious, has character, two minutes from the harbour, I would feel perfectly safe staying in the surrounding area on my own. Small kitchenette, very helpful and locally knowledgeable reception staff, and perching on the little balcony, a bird's eye view of life in a small shady square (nice little taverna underneath, not too noisy) to watch a slice of local life go on. Perhaps not a hotel, but you can cook your own breakfast or eat at numerous extremely reasonable places nearby in a bit of sunshine

http://www.vranas.gr/

If this type of accommodation isn't for you, then do check out the general area, and there's no way you'll feel isolated. Tons of eateries and bars/cafes, and there is a really nice vibe on an evening.

From Chania, it's easy to strike out on your own if you wish on the good bus service

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetable.php

Edited: 1:39 pm, May 17, 2014
2. Re: travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 19, 2015