We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Nights in Crete (1 night in Heraklion/3 nights in Chania)

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 Nights in Crete (1 night in Heraklion/3 nights in Chania)

Hi everyone,

I am traveling to Crete by ferry and arriving at Heraklion on 9/6 18:30h. I plan on staying one night in Heraklion and then heading out the next day to Chania where I will stay for 3 nights. I will depart from Chania on 9/10 in the evening.

I know that it is a short amount of time for Crete, but please tell me what are the sights that are not to be missed. Any stops I should make on my way from Heraklion to Chania? I plan to rent a car. What about Chania, is it a good place to stay for 3 nights?

As for hotels I am looking at the Galaxy Hotel Iraklio in Heracklion and the Samaria Hotel in Chania. Are those good hotels?

Thanks!!

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Nights in Crete (1 night in Heraklion/3 nights in Chania)

Hi,

If I were you I wouldn't miss Knossos and the museum in Heraklion, but I am not you :o)

What are your interests? Are you interested in history? beaches and sunbathing? Hikes?

Crete can cover a wide variety of interests, but as you said you'd need many more than 4 days you have.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Nights in Crete (1 night in Heraklion/3 nights in Chania)

I like everything you mentioned--although to be honest I am not much of the active outdoorsy type, so no extreme sports or extreme hiking lol. I will also be traveling to Athens, Mykonos and Santorini.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Nights in Crete (1 night in Heraklion/3 nights in Chania)

In that case, I will insist in visiting Knossos, and the Archaeological Museum, that are practicaly both in Heraklion and you can visit them in the same day. They can be visited in the same day.

On you way to Chania you can stop in the town of Rethymnon, or you can go as a day trip when in Chania. It has a beautiful old town, old venetian harbour, and a large medival castle.

Chania is one of the most beautiful towns of Greece, so yes it is a good choice.

Allow yourself a day to explore the old town of Chania, and harbour and museums. There are many good beaches, in the area of Chania, and the most famous are Falasarna, Elafonisi, and the lagoon of Balos. Balos would require a whole day as you should go and return by a ferry. You'll have to have a 4X4 to go by car.

Edited: 7:03 am, May 14, 2014
Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Nights in Crete (1 night in Heraklion/3 nights in Chania)

On your way to or from Chania you should stop at the beautiful Arkadi Monastery, only a few miles south of the New Road. Be sure to read up on its history first. In that area there's also an interesting War Museum at Chromonastiri , but check opening times.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Nights in Crete (1 night in Heraklion/3 nights in Chania)

Good advice so far. Indeed it is a good idea to visit Knossos. Also you are concentrating on a small area of Crete and have a realistic plan. Crete is way too big to try and see too much in a short period but sticking to essentially one place does work.

We took the Balos Gramovossa excursion last year and really enjoyed it. It gave us a day excursion on a boat, two beaches and a pirate fortress. It was reasonably priced and well worth it. The rest of the time you can easily just spend exploring the old town area of Chania. There were outdoor markets on Thursday and Sat and you can spend a couple of hours experiencing local culture.

Here is what Chania is like.

Chania

flickr.com/photos/…

In this album images 59 to 74 are of the Balos excursion

https:/…

By the way I don't know Samaria hotel but I did look at its location. The pictures would suggest it is a well appointed property however it is a couple of blocks into the new city which is pretty much hustle and bustle. If it were me I would look for a hotel in the old town/harbour area. You can step back into the past there.

Here are images of Theotokopoulo Street area. It is pedestrian only, quiet at night yet only a minute walk to the old harbour. There are hotels in every price range in this area.

Theotokopoulou St area

flickr.com/photos/…

Edited: 9:49 am, May 14, 2014
Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Nights in Crete (1 night in Heraklion/3 nights in Chania)

There was a recent thread about places to stay in Chania Old Town:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189415-i714-k74…

They all look so gorgeous that I've got them bookmarked for next time we go to Crete.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Nights in Crete (1 night in Heraklion/3 nights in Chania)

As recommended above, I would also look to stay in Chania Old Town/harbour area. There's a nice buzz at night, lots of safe, winding, characterful backstreets to explore, and a wealth of eating/drinking spots in scenic surroundings. Wherever you choose to stay, I would enquire about parking, as there are some narrow streets, and you will want to know how far away you will need to park/cost.

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
652 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 Nights in Crete (1 night in Heraklion/3 nights in Chania)

Well if you have a car from Heraklion to Hania you can also stop toRethimno to eat, Georgioupoli beach, Aptera (for the historical site and the view). If you will keep the car you can visit Elafonisi beach the next day or Balos beach...You can also visit the Monasteries (Ag. Triada and Gouverneto) in Akrotiri (just 20 minutes from Hania) and then go to Stavros Beach there. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Enjoy your trip

Michigan
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 Nights in Crete (1 night in Heraklion/3 nights in Chania)

Vrises or Vrisas is a nice town to stop for a coffee or meal that is on the way. There are places to get goat milk yogurt that I believe it is known for. We had a delightful yogurt and honey break in the seating area of one of the restaurants in a park-like setting where the restaurant has tables and wait service.

Also nice was our lunch in Smili, a cute town in the Amari Valley. Driving from there to Heraklion we saw a shepherd and sheep dog, along with sheep on the side of the mountain.

Chania has free parking on the street at Talos Square, close to the old harbor. If no space, there is a free city dirt parking lot that we used, about a 2 minute walk down the street, where we left our car for 3 nights. At least in late May, there were plenty of spots in the free lot and there may have been more than one lot.

Whether or not you want to walk the Samaria Gorge, the drive there from Chania has breathtaking views and a lot of sheep and goats near and crossing the mountain roads. The restaurant up the hill at the entrance to the gorge was excellent. We spent about 90 minutes walking down and up the gorge, which was enjoyable although not the whole hike.

Edited: 11:50 am, June 02, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 Nights in Crete (1 night in Heraklion/3 nights in Chania)

Your choice of 1 night in Heraklion &3nights in Chania is a good option. We were there recently, we stayed in Heraklion for 5 nights which we felt was too long, however we used the local buses to travel around to agios Nikolaos, and to Chania.

Definitely visit Knossos by local bus, the hop on & off bus isn't really worth it. In Chania I would recommend to stay around the old harbour town , it's a beautiful old port and use the local buses or ferrys to go to beaches.