We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 2 weeks too long in Chania?

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
122 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Is 2 weeks too long in Chania?

A lots of people seem to only seem to stay a few days. Is 2 weeks too long?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 2 weeks too long in Chania?

It depends on what you want out of your holiday: what you're interested in, what you plan to do, how you want to spend your time. Chania is Crete's most beautiful city, and it's a very good base for exploring the west of Crete.

Two weeks is certainly not too long for such exploration. But yes, two weeks would be too long to spend in Chania if you didn't go anywhere else. And that would be a great pity: Crete has so much to offer.

You need to do some research. Read up on what there is to see and do in a good guide book, the Rough Guide for preference. Decide what interests you, and come back with specific questions so that you can get some relevant help.

Edited: 5:34 pm, March 14, 2014
Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 2 weeks too long in Chania?

As Albastron says, if you use Chania as your base & you do some day trips from there, then it's absolutely not too long. If you love (small) cities then it's not too long. If you stay just outside the city on the sea-front & you love the beach, then it's not too long.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 2 weeks too long in Chania?

You can easily spend 4 or 5 days in Chania and just immurse yourself in the culture and ambiance.

After that Chania is perfect for day trips. There is the famous Samaria Gorge excursion. The day boat excursion to Balos and Gramovossa, Ancient Aptera and Ancient Falasarna. A day trip to Rethymnon and a visit to the Fortezza. IIf you run out of things to do then you could plan on spending the balance of your two weeks in a village on the Libyan Sea. That coastline is wild beautiful and has excellent beaches.

Here are images of Western Crete

.Western Crete flickr.com/photos/…

and just Chania

Chania

flickr.com/photos/…

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
697 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 2 weeks too long in Chania?

Twenty years has not been too long, when we come again and don't find anything new we may stop coming!

As Alabastron says,"it depends on what you want from your holiday". We have had beach holidays out at Stalos, city break holidays on the harbour front, multi-centre holidays, and road trip holidays around the island but all have involved at least a visit to Chania. There are a lot of suggestions on this forum of things to do in Chania, if you try all of them it could take you many weeks, and not allowing for any beach time.

Do have a good time.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 2 weeks too long in Chania?

I am considering 7 days in Chania and that's just a tease for exploring that part of the island. I think whatever amount of time you want to spend depends on what you want . . . do you want a slow, leisurely and laid-back experience and really get into where you are or are you someone who is non-stop and can't sit still? If you are laid back and enjoy taking your time and soaking up what you are experiencing then two weeks is ample time. Chania is probably the most beautiful large town on Crete but it's a long distance from the Minoan sites on the western part of the island, but there are some nearby sites that may be just as good as Knossos but without the crowds. Then there is the gorges, the small coastal towns on the southern coasts, the mountains and villages in the surrounding area. As I said the time you spend somewhere is not important . . . it's what you want & how you want to experience it that counts. I think my 7 days won't give me enough time to soak it all in . . . so I will concentrate on a few areas and get into them and fully enjoy them and know there is more to see and experience on another trip. Take you time and enjoy your holiday!

Edited: 1:52 pm, March 17, 2014
6. Re: Is 2 weeks too long in Chania?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 19, 2015