We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Archeological Sites near Chania

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Archeological Sites near Chania

We are planning a stay in Chania and would like to visit archeological sites near by. Knossos is quite a bus ride away and while it looks spectacular we are interested in something closer to Chania. We know of Aptera but are there any other sites close by?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Archeological Sites near Chania

There is a very interesting site in Chania itself, in the Kastelli area, where excavations of a Minoan city have been taking place for some time:

http://www.minoancrete.com/chania.htm

diathens.gr/en/…det-minoiske-kydonia-khania

http://www.athenapub.com/11khania.htm

There are remains of ancient walls all over the place. And you mustn't miss the beautiful Archaeological Museum in Halidon.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Archeological Sites near Chania

http://www.ancient-greece.org/map.html

may give you a few others to investigate.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Archeological Sites near Chania

I've heard of the Kastelli site but didn't realize how extensive and how important it may be. I'll look further into what's going on in Chania proper. Also thanks for the web site for ancient Greece. Still got lots of time before any trip this Oct. for further research, but it's never too early to get a head start.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Archeological Sites near Chania

Not truly archeological I suppose, but I like Polyrinia (or Polyrhinnia & other spellings!), it's a beautiful setting inland from Kissamos, stunning views & plenty to look at, roman cistern, venetian arches, church made with ancient stones etc. You walk up through the village to the top of the hill which has views over both North & South coasts.

Or the ancient port at Falasarna - go to the end of the beach & keep going for 1km. A small site but interesting as the harbour is now several metres up the air, due to geological movement of this west end of Crete. Worth an hour if you're in this part of the island. More digging ongoing here.

Edited: 1:48 pm, February 25, 2014
Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
848 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Archeological Sites near Chania

I agree with all the above, I would also add Lissos in the south, 45 minute walk from Sougia. Its a small Asklepion (ancient 'medical center'), with fountain, some Roman tombs, a small temple with mosaic, two small Byzantine churches and nice sea.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Archeological Sites near Chania

Yes, Lissos is exciting, if you're prepared for the two-hour drive to and from Sougia.

(I think you must be a very fast walker, George!)

Seriously, crazyh, 1.5 hours is more like it. (I take even longer, but I go slow.) It might be possible to do it in an hour if you really push it. Make an early start: once you're at Lissos, you won't want to rush away. It's a peaceful, magical place, with a lot to see, and a small beach to swim from. Make a day of it. Better yet, stay in Sougia for a day or two.

Edited: 4:58 pm, February 25, 2014
concord nh
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Archeological Sites near Chania

Lots of good recommendations . . . love all the options and suggestions which makes planning for a trip exciting and frustrating. So much to see and do and not enough time to do it all. I don't want to dilute the experience by trying to see to much in a short amount of time and not fully enjoy what I'm seeing and experiencing. Still got a number of months for more research and decisions.

8. Re: Archeological Sites near Chania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 01, 2015