We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter week in Chania?

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Easter week in Chania?

Hello, I will be spending a week leading up to, and including, the Easter week-end in Chania (Monday to Monday).

What should I expect, regarding activities, events, closures?

Are there any festivities in the Prefecture that would be worth seeking out? I will not have a car, but I am quite comfortable using local public transit.

Many thanks for all suggestions and advice!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter week in Chania?

hi,take a look at this site about easter celebrations in greece

…about.com/od/festivalsholidays/a/easter.htm

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter week in Chania?

Where in Chania can I attend the Saturday night church service?

Since Easter Monday is a holiday, will it be difficult to get a bus to Heraklion on that day? I am not picking up a rental car until the next day, from the Heraklion airport.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
97 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter week in Chania?

The stores in Chanian are closed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday at Easter. But restaurants, bars and tourist stores will be open. Buses to Herakion will run, possibly on a special timetable that will be published here: http://bus-service-crete-ktel.com.

Easter is the most important holiday in the Greek orthodox church, but all I know about it is from hearsay. Despite about 30 trips to Greece, this will be the first time we go for Easter. I will ask my friends down there how and where to go. One thing is certain: it will be fun. Cretans know how to party.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter week in Chania?

Thank you, Goranssons!

I will be staying in Vranas Studios in the Old town and I'm really looking forward to being there at this time. Since you live there part of the time, I have an odd question: since so much of the holiday is family-oriented, do you think that my presence alone will be a bit awkward that week (ie in restaurants and such)? Normally, I have a great time when I travel solo - it's a quite different experience than from when I travel with my spouse or with friends and I cherish those times. I'm just wondering if it will be a bit weird this time...

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
97 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter week in Chania?

It's a relevant question, but I wouldn't worry to much. Cretans love to go out and family oriented or not, there are always people in restaurants and bars. The places on Theotokopolou and Angelou, like Kormovaro, and Fagotto, are good choices, and just around the corner from you is Ababa bar. I am sure you will have a great time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter week in Chania?

Thank you for the recommendations and for the kind reassurance. I am very much looking forward to my first trip to Crete.

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
720 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter week in Chania?

On Easter Sunday everything closed, locals go to their birthplace villages in the countryside, usually roast whole lambs, big eating and drinking feast, but at home. Usually they welcome everyone they come across this day! On Saturday night go to a local church to see Judas burning, gunshots and fireworks, around 24:00. Lights go off, and then the priest shares the holy light. One of the best 'songs' in Greek orthodox religious singing.

Enjoy Crete and Greece!

8. Re: Easter week in Chania?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, February 08, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Chania Town