We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amphora Hotel

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Amphora Hotel

My fiance and I are thinking about staying at Amphora Hotel in Crete for our honeymoon in mid June for one week. I am wondering how far this hotel is from the beach? We are interested in a beach that has access to a lot of water sports. Is it walking distance or will we need a taxi to get to the beach?

Any other suggestions?

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amphora Hotel

Hi there

Amphora hotel in Chania city is located in the old Venetian Harbour, in Theotokopoulou Str.

The nearest beach you can access by foot is the Nea Chora beach, about 15 minutes walk (heading to the west by the waterfront, you will find it). It is a quite decent beach for a swim and relax but i think that you won't find water sports activities there. By the way, what do you mean exactly by water sports?...Jet skiis, etc?

Those you would find most probably in the beach line of Agia Marina and Platanias area, about 10+ kms west of the city. Going there if you won't have a rental car could happen either by taxi (13-15 euros per way) or by bus.

Now, if you are interested in a scenic location as it is your honeymoon trip, the Old Venetian town is your best choice, i guess. The other option is to change over to the other areas (which are more like touristic resorts areas) and going in/out to Chania Old Town for an evening walk and night out.

Anyway, congratulations for your engagement and have fun in my city.

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amphora Hotel

I figured the beach would be about that far away. By water sports, I mainly mean SCUBA & snorkeling.

What do you think about the Porto Veneziano Hotel? I have read great reviews about that hotel as well, although it might be a little further away. They offer free bike rental, so I figure we could ride bikes to the nearest beach.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,973 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amphora Hotel

The Amphora is a beautiful old hotel in a beautifully restored Venetian house. It's my favourite hotel in Chania, though I can't always afford it. It would be an excellent choice for a honeymoon, but its downside in mid June will be the noise from the tavernas and discos below.

The Porto Veneziano is a modern, more business-like hotel, a few minutes walk further east, on the second of the two harbours. It would be quieter there, but not so atmospheric. It depends on what sort of environment you want to be in.

Whichever one you stay at, you'll have a journey to a beach with any water sports facilities. If you decide on the Amphora you'll still be able to rent bikes, which shouldn't cost much, so that shouldn't be a deciding factor. As it's your honeymoon, your choice should surely be based on the hotel environment and ambience. If it were my honeymoon, I'd choose the Amphora, and take ear plugs.

The north coast is not good for scuba diving and snorkelling. The sea bottom is sandy, and in most places shelves gently. If you want the real thing you'll have to go to the south coast, 1.5-2 hours drive away, where the sea bottom is rocky. There are diving centres in Chora Sfakion...

http://notosmare.com/

...and in Plakias:

crete.dive2gether.com/modules/content/?id=1

Edited: 12:15 pm, January 15, 2014
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
34 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amphora Hotel

I too am considering these two hotels for my honeymoon in July. 5 nights. I definitely prefer the atmosphere at Amphora but also prefer to sleep! There are reviews that it is noisy (while porto veneziano is quiet, but looks unromantic). What do you guys think?

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amphora Hotel

I actually ended up booking with Amphora Hotel. I think with it's close vicinity and beautiful views of the harbor, it will be the best choice.

6. Re: Amphora Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 06, 2015