We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance for trip to Greece?

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
2 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Insurance for trip to Greece?

This week I FINALLY purchased tix for my son & I to travel from Philadelphia, USA, to Chania, Greece for 10 days in August. Our return flight will include 2 stops once we leave Athens. The good part is that all our flight segments are on the same airline, Lufthansa. But I am wondering if I should purchase travel insurance. If so, does anyone have any good recommendations?

~ Taya

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance for trip to Greece?

Hi Taya

Don't even consider travelling without insurance, if nothing else it gives you peace of mind. What if your luggage were to get lost? What if someone in your party were taken ill? What if you were involved in some type of accident? I don't mean to sound negative but many folk don't bother with insurance and really live to regret their decision for the sake of a few pounds/dollars/euros.

Regarding healthcare, the UK has a reciprocal arrangement for BASIC health cover with Greece but anything over and above the basic service has to be paid for. I guess you guys Stateside are used to paying for your healthcare but I imagine you have insurance to cover the cost of treatment should you ever require it.

We have reliable holiday insurance companies over here that can be contacted via the web where we always pick up single trip insurance for around £35 ($65) for the two of us for two weeks. It's not much to pay for peace of mind really is it?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,539 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance for trip to Greece?

I would never travel without insurance.I buy an annual policy for europe costs about £35 per year and covers me for trips of upto 30 days at a time,also covers me for trips i take in my own country.Travel insurance should be a priority.Airlin compesation for loss of luggage is pityful and if you take ill whilst on holiday or have an accident ,then insurance will cover hospital bills and repatriation costs as well as any personal liability.

3. Re: Travel Insurance for trip to Greece?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 16, 2009