We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch near Antoniou Melidoni (& bus to Theriso)

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Province of Malaga...
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch near Antoniou Melidoni (& bus to Theriso)

Hi,

Cheeky double question.

Arriving Chania Old Town (Antoniou Melidoni) lunchtime, hungry after Ryan Air flight.

Happy to make our own discoveries/mistakes for the rest of the week but should like to walk directly to a nice place to eat to set us up, thanks for any suggestions.

Also, does anyone know about public transport to Theriso, The KTE website seems to suggest a bus goes there in the afternoon but only goes in the other direction at 6.45am which wont work for my planned day trip.

I appreciate any and all help.

Cheers

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch near Antoniou Melidoni (& bus to Theriso)

The bus is probably for locals who need to go to Chania for shopping etc., so that is probably right.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch near Antoniou Melidoni (& bus to Theriso)

Easy! Go round the front of the cathedral, turn right down Halidon towards the harbour, just before the fountain turn left onto Zambelou - 150m along there is Tamam, one of the best restaurants in Hania. About 5 mins walk. If you don't want to go that far, there are several café-bars/ restaurants immediately behind the cathedral - of these, the Red Bicycle is pretty good.

Don't recall seeing any buses to Theriso. You may find a tourist trip out there, I know there are plenty of 'Happy trains' (in inverted commas because I wouldn't be happy in one & am very unhappy when behind them going up Theriso gorge!) - I think they go mostly from the Platanias resort strip, rather than central Chania. You could get a KTEL bus easily to say , Stalos or Agia Marina to get on one. I'd suggest ask at your hotel - I'm making the assumption that you don't want a hire car.

Province of Malaga...
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch near Antoniou Melidoni (& bus to Theriso)

Sorry to be slow with my thanks, but thanks for the tips.

Lunch at Tamam it is.

Planning to walk rather than drive so perhaps I'll get a taxi to Theriso.

Cheers

David

Province of Malaga...
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch near Antoniou Melidoni (& bus to Theriso)

Sorry to be slow with my thanks, but thanks for the tips.

Lunch at Tamam it is.

Planning to walk rather than drive so perhaps I'll get a taxi to Theriso.

Cheers

David

5. Re: Lunch near Antoniou Melidoni (& bus to Theriso)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 28, 2014