We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around by Bus

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around by Bus

I will be in Chania in Mid October and I would like to know:

a) Does the ferry run, in October, from Chora Sfakia to Sougia? How long is the boat ride? I am thinking to take Bus to Sfakia, look around, Boat to Sougia and from there Bus back to Chania. Assuming the Buses allso run in October.

b) Could I find a Taxi in Sfakia to take me to Anapoli and back?

c) Stavros beach, Acrotiri. Does the Bus stop in the village? and how long a walk to the beach w/ the brown mountain? I am over 60 and distances matter :))

Thank you all very much

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around by Bus

a) Yes, but, not in one day. You need to change in Agia Roumeli and there is only one ferry a day each way between Agia Roumeli and Sougia. Here is the timetable:

www.anendyk.gr/pages/en/timetable.php?lang=EN

The ferry from Chora Sfakion to Agia Roumeli takes an hour; From Agia Roumeli to Sougia about 1.5 hours so 2.5 hours in all, with a wait in Agia Roumeli.

b) Yes.

cretamap.com/place/…

c) I can't answer this, and will leave it to someone else.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around by Bus

If I am reading it correctly, the boat from Roumeli leaves at 17:30 and arrives Sougia 18:10 and the bus from there to Chania leaves 18:15. Now, If I catch the 8:30 bus from Chania I'll have plenty of time in Sfakia until 13:00 when the boat leaves for Roumeli. It will be an all day tour. Please correct me if I am wrong. I wouldn't want to get stranded. I am staying in Chania and doing day trips from there.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around by Bus

That's correct, and you won't get stranded. The bus will run until the Samaria gorge closes, normally at the end of October (but can be earlier if there has been a lot of rain) and will wait for the ferry, which will be bringing people who have walked down the gorge and are returning by bus to Chania. You won't have any time in Sougia, but you'll have had the marvellous journey along the coast, and a few hours in Agia Roumeli as well as the morning in Chora Sfakion. You could walk to the gorge entrance and a little way up it if you wished - just make sure you turn back in time to catch the ferry.

Once the gorge closes, the evening bus will in all probability disappear altogether.

Bear in mind that in October if there has been a lot of rain in the gorge, it may be closed, and the ferries cancelled, so check before you set out from Chania.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around by Bus

Thanks, Al

I will definately check the schedule once I get there. I hope I get lucky and have fairly decent weather, at least for one or two of the days I'll be there. Walking to the entrance of the gorge is also a good idea, just to get a taste of it. It could be a full, pleasant and interesting day with a minimum of walking :))

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around by Bus

I'm sure it will be a lovely day. The ferry journey is spectacular: one of the great experiences Crete has to offer, and the Section between Agia Roumeli and Sougia is the most impressive.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
697 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around by Bus

Re your point c):

from memory the KTEL bus out to Stavros runs round along by te beach facing "Zorba's Mountain" then comes back through the middle of the "village". You don't make it plain where you are heading. If its far from the centre I'm sure there will be a local taxi who can get you there.

7. Re: Getting around by Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Chania Town
Recent Conversations