We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping!

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping!

Hi all

I am travelling to Crete in September and will want to travel into Chania for some shopping at some point - I am very excited having found out that there is a Sephora in the town, we don't have them here.

We will have a hire car, however have heard that parking in the town can be a bit of a nightmare. I know buses are an option, however I know the people I am travelling with will not want to go for that.

So, do you have any recommendations as to the best parking areas in Chania - within good walking distance? Is it better to park at a supermarket and walk in?

Thanks in advance

Sarah

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping!

There is ample free parking in the area behind the Naval Museum. It's west of the centre, but it's walking distance (I'd guess about 10-15 minutes) if there is nothing closer - someone else may be able to recommend.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping!

Hello Sarah

Parking in Chania, indeed sometimes can be difficult. But as you said that you will be here in September, most probably things would have start to somehow relaxing a bit as far as the amounts of people visiting the area, so it might not be that hard.

If you are interested in parking near the city center, ther are some areas where there are Open Parking Lots of the city, with tickets that you get from the Issuing Machines that are there, you know the type with the coins. Click on this link ( i hope it works):

http://goo.gl/maps/E4wCF

I have marked where some of them are, either City Parking areas or Private Indoor Parkings

Norway
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping!

Great map! Thank you Kostas! I've bookmarked it for my next trip.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping!

The simplest way in to a reasonably central car park for nervous first-timers (!) is:

- Take the Mournies & hospital exit from the highway, which is the most central Hania turnoff, head not to these but the opposite way, into the city, past Lidl & Carrefour. Go straight across at lights, continue on this road, past cemetry. Straight across at next lights then 1st right (there is a P sign). After 70m turn right into the Apollon parking. Stop on the forecourt, leave your keys in the car, take your ticket from the attendant.

When you come back you need to just turn right out of the front exit of the car park to be on Apokoronou st to take you straight out to Souda Rd & back to the highway So very little driving needed in the busy part of the city centre..

It's not the cheapest car park in town, but a bonus is that your car will be cool when you return as it's inside!

it's the bottom central car park shown on Kostas' great map

Edited: 1:06 am, August 16, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping!

Thanks all for your suggestions, and thanks Kostas for the map. All really useful tips which I know will make it all the easier to navigate the town!

I'm counting down the days until I go now!

Sarah

6. Re: Shopping!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 18, 2014