We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chania Town or Beach?

Virginia
Level Contributor
182 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Chania Town or Beach?

Crete experts help! I too am planning a trip to Crete September 2014 3-4 nights before going to Heraklion - I cannot decide if it is more desirable to sleep in town - if so a pool would be great for that time between touring and dining ....or to stay at a beach hotel and bus or walk into town & cab back at night. Please advise and if you can recommend hotels that fit my wish list please do!

Also any good seafood, lamb, typical restaurants in either area. We are planning 3 nights each city before going on to Santorini (4), Naxos (4), Mykonos(3) (Delos) then finish in Athens 2 nights.

Itinerary advice welcome. Thanks

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Chania Town or Beach?

Save your beach time for the rest of your holiday, or on a ride out. The old town of Chania is beautiful and my very favourite in Greece so far!!!!

Karen

Virginia
Level Contributor
182 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Chania Town or Beach?

Where did you stay in Chania? Any tavernas you loved?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,978 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Chania Town or Beach?

I suspect that once you arrive and discover just how charming Chania is you won't even think aboutn a beach during your short time there. AS mentioned previously the area around Theotokopoulo street is perfect. It is quiet but only a two minute walk to the harbour. That makes it quiet at night for sleeping but right by all the action. There are dozens of good hotels along this pedestrianized street suitable for all budgets and it is on the west side of the old town so if you must have a beach time it is only a 15 minute walk to Neo Chora beach. If you are driving there is free parking right at the seashore as well. Here are some images of the area.

flickr.com/photos/…

And here is Chania

flickr.com/photos/…

Oh I forgot don't miss Taverna Tamam.

Edited: 10:20 am, August 03, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Chania Town or Beach?

Just stayed in in a hotel with a pool near Nera Chora beach. This beach is so brilliant that even my friend who 'hates' salt water, swum in the sea each day rather than the pool. As mentioned above Apostoli is also a lovely beach. So my advice would be to get accommodation close to Nera Chora beach, which is an easy walk into beautiful old town.

thessaloniki
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Chania Town or Beach?

I like this Chania Town. I knew, a lot of Hotel in Chania Town.If you need you can visit here.

http://www.blazishouse.gr

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Chania Town or Beach?

Strtategic2, please be aware that the hotel recommended by Framing024 is not in Chania! It is in Almyrida, a tourist resort about 10-12 miles from Chania.

It's a shame people confuse the issue.

Edited: 5:54 pm, August 07, 2013
17. Re: Chania Town or Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 09, 2014