We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations on gourmet restaurants in Chania

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
61 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations on gourmet restaurants in Chania

Hello.

My boyfriend and myself will be in Crete for 16 days in july, and we are really looking forward to it.

First 4 days in Rethymnon (staying at the AVLI (that also has the excellent restaurant)) http:www.avli.gr

Then 4 days in Loutro, 4 days in Paleochora and ending up in Chania with 4 days in the Casa Leone. We will ofcourse try the AVLI in Rethymnon. The thing is that we also want a "romantic Gourmet experience" in Chania, and have read about Nykterida outside Chania... Is this recommendable? Does anyone have better tips on finding a romantic gourmet restaurant?!? And any good tips regarding the places we are staying at, would be really appreciated!

Best regards from Norway...

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
61 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations on gourmet restaurants in Chania

Sorry, was a bit quick there; I meant that we would very much appreciate any tips about what to see, where to eat, visit ecc. besides good restaurants ofcourse... :-)

crete
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations on gourmet restaurants in Chania

actually chania has not any gourmet restaurants...

the only one that could be considered as a good restaurant is Kariatis, an italian restaurant in the old town with very good food and not so good atmosphere (try this). Nykterida is a little bit outside chania. the food not so good, since not that busy and the atmosphere....

however, you could find romantic and atmospheric places to eat. if you like fish + seafood, try 'thalassino ageri' just outside chania in an are called tambakaria, on the sea...very romantic!

tamam, could also be an option in the old town. you will be eating turkish food in an old hamam!

another choice would be 'don rozario' in a village on the west from chania called 'ravdouxa'. nice dishes, but try to have a late lunch there!

parenthetically, 'avli' is an excellent restaurant with a long wine list to choose from, and Casa Leone is quite good and romantic, but could be better in Casa Delfino...

have a nice time anywhere you go to + i hope you find the places you are looking for!

Athens - Greece
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations on gourmet restaurants in Chania

Although you will not find many gourmet restaurants you will definately find many very nice traditional restaurants by the Old Town......

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
61 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations on gourmet restaurants in Chania

Thank you so much for your excellent advice!!! This is why I am addicted to Tripsdvisor when it comes to planning holidays. We have had the best holidays based on recommendations and advice we have found here!!! (expect from one; The Villa Ducale in Taormina, Sicily was really overrated. So now you know...:-)

(So if you'll ever be going to Norway, read the advice we norwegians try to give in the Norwegian Forum here in Tripadvisor.)

Anyway; I am following the Forum about Crete this year, and reading books, and looking so much forward to the holiday!

Best regards, Sylvia

London
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations on gourmet restaurants in Chania

This doesn't look like a gourmet restaurant but here I had the best, freshest fish I have ever tasted. On the west coast, south of Falassarna beach is the tiny village of Sfakia. Follow the road through the village to the very end and a taverna is set back from the road with it's tables in front either under vines or right by the sea. The first time I saw it, I thought it was closed.

Wilmslow
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations on gourmet restaurants in Chania

Without a shadow of doubt the best restaurant with the best service is the AMPHORA, host speaks several languages, service excellent & food even better. Tried many restaurant across Chania & as yet have not found one that beats the Amphora. All the guide books across europe also appear to recommend this restaurant. Get there early or be prepared to wait. No aggressive hassling from this restaurant...it doesn't need it. Just watch how this restaurant fills whilst others around it hustle for customers...tells it's own story.

Good eating

amsterdam
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations on gourmet restaurants in Chania

Monastiri and Karnagios are 2 good greek restaurants (tavernas) in the old harbour. It is were the greeks eat who can cook well at home. Monastir has a direct view on the lighthouse.

australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations on gourmet restaurants in Chania

Little Prince : i was planning on trying Nyxterida are you saying that its not worth it? i heard otherwise .

9. Re: Recommendations on gourmet restaurants in Chania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, August 16, 2009