We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete

Cobar, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Crete

HI

We would like to go to Crete next year but have never been there before we don't know which area would be best to visit. We would like to spend our time on the beaches and looking around. Are there scooters that we could hire to get around the island. Which would be the best city to stay in as we will only have a short stay.

Looking forward to any help with this.

Thank you

Tonette

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete

You can hire scooters, but Crete is much too big to use them to tour round the whole of the island - it's more than 150 miles from one end to the other as the crow flies.

You need to tell us when you're coming, which port/airport you arrive at, how long you are there for, are you interested in scenery, walking etc. more than archaeology and so on. That will help us to give you some good ideas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crete

Also please tell us how many days "a short stay" means. All stays on Crete are short (i.e. too short) but three days is a very different ball game from two weeks.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crete

Hi there

Looks like you are travelling from Australia in which case, it would seem that you will arrive in Greece at Athens airport form where you can then choose whether to fly to Chania or Iraklion.

But, seeing as you ARE coming from Australia, and you say it's only to be a short visit, it makes me think that you are probably on a longer holiday with several destinations and therefore, you may well be coming to Crete from another European country, maybe Italy, Turkey, etc, etc.

If you can give us the info that Steve and alabastron have asked for, it would make it much easier for us to help out.

Cobar, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crete

HI everyone and thank you for your reply. We will only be there for about a week as we want to see a number of countries this time over.

We loved Santorini and hope to go back so something similar to that would be great. Knowing nothing about the country I'm not even sure were to fly into. At the moment I'm not sure what country we will be flying in from but it will be Europe. On some of the other Greek Islands we hired scooters as transport to get around. We would like to go to the beaches, visit older style towns and be with locals if that is at all possible. There could be any were between 2 to 8 of us. We were looking at June/July.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks you

Tonette

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crete

I think you need to do some reading and research before we can give you any realistic advice. Get some idea of Crete: how big it is (it's very big) and what there is to see here (a great deal) and what you might be interested in. Then come back and ask more specific questions, and we'll be glad to help.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crete

Crete is nothing like Santorini. Look at this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…46646487

It is almost 100 times bigger than Santorini in land area, over 150 miles from one end to the other as the crow flies.

If you like old towns, you should head for Chania and Rethymnon:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k60…

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
100 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crete

We did this on a week trip to Crete some years ago:

We went to Chania and spent a couple of days there. Then left most of our luggage at the bus station and took a bus to Omalos. Walked down the beautiful Samaria Gorge and took the boat from there to Paleochora. Spent 2 nights in lovely Paleochora and then took the bus back to Chania.

This way you will enjoy the beauty and culture of Chania, the mountains, nature and excersise in the Samaria Gorge, a boat trip along the south coast, beach life and village atmosphere in Paleochora - all in one week.

Milatos
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crete

As Alabaston says Crete is big. What you have to remember is it is more than 150 miles long ( a lot more) and the country is mountainous in the middle and the roads are not straight, you are also driving through villages as well. Read up on Crete first and then get back here. There are two airpoorts that you would use. Hania and Heraklion. ( There is also Sitia but this is one you should not choose - it isn't a viable option for you) If you do come into Hania then stick to the West of the island. If you come in to Heraklion then that is Central and East. Do not try to pack too much into your day. I would also advise you to choose a small car to get around the Island. If you do not have a bike licence then a 50cc scooter is all you can hire with a car licence and to be able to get up even the start of the mountains you would need 2 bikes, A 50cc will not take 2 people comfortably up into mountains and would not even be able to get up them. A cost of 2 scooters is similar to a small car and is not as safe an option. So have a look at different areas, if you are only coming for 7 days then stick to the North of Crete as your transfer time will not be as long to your hotel.

Arlandastad, Sweden
Level Contributor
428 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crete

I cant add Crete is a country, its so big. Rest of the advice is above

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crete

> Crete is a country, its so big.<

Truer words were never spoken. In fact there are those - I am one of them - who regard Crete as a small continent, and it is: several different areas, with different climates and different ecosystems, and very different people.

The sooner one stops thinking of Crete as a Greek island, the sooner one can start getting to grips with its immensity, variety, uniqueness, and majesty.

Looks like Tone has disappeared, but for anyone else who might be reading this, it's the truth.

Edited: 3:16 am, February 08, 2013