We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is vegetarian options ,half board booked for aug 06

chania platanias
3 posts
Save Topic
what is vegetarian options ,half board booked for aug 06

am taking family for 1 week.we are all veggie.is their a wide enough choice for us to enjoy eating both at the hotel and eating out and about.any tips on excursions that will also be suitable distance wise for us with our 5 year old.although mainly going away just for relaxation.any advice greatfully received.

chania platanias
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: what is vegetarian options ,half board booked for aug 06

we are considering plazzo porto platanias.hopefully the buffet breakfasts and dinners will cater well for vegetarians?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is vegetarian options ,half board booked for aug 06

Greetings mccalls - I, too, am a vegetarian (well - modified as I do eat FISH - and am in heaven on the isles w/the freshest catch straight from the fishing boats to the grill - ummm!) Nevertheless, even if you are a true-blue veggie, you won't have any problems at all in choosing delicious foods! The Greek Salads (always a good starter for the table) is loaded w/cucumber, tomatoes, feta cheese, olives....try the 'gigantes', huge fava beans or 'fasolada', one of my favorties my mom used to make (green beans cooked w/lots or garlic (or is it onion? I forget) in a tomatoe sauce....fabulous...you'll see! Enjoy!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is vegetarian options ,half board booked for aug 06

Greetings mccalls - I, too, am a vegetarian (well - modified as I do eat FISH - and am in heaven on the isles w/the freshest catch straight from the fishing boats to the grill - ummm!) Nevertheless, even if you are a true-blue veggie, you won't have any problems at all in choosing delicious foods! The Greek Salads (always a good starter for the table) is loaded w/cucumber, tomatoes, feta cheese, olives....try the 'gigantes', huge fava beans or 'fasolada', one of my favorties my mom used to make (green beans cooked w/lots or garlic (or is it onion? I forget) in a tomatoe sauce....fabulous...you'll see! Enjoy!

Hi mccalls platanias is great. I was there some yrs ago and had great time.

If you eat fish you 'll find loads of oportunities as Lisa says!

EATING OUT: As for no meat - no fish way, opportunities are still many. Salads, fresh greens boiled in light olive sauce with lemon on top. White beans in lemon and olive, giant beans on tomato sauce, stuffed tomatoes (please check they don't have meat or minced meat, since it is a regular here), boiled zucchini, zucchini in pan, eggplants in some variations, dolmadhakia ( rice in vine leaves ), wonderful bread, various salads from smashed vegetables (dip style),potatoes, potatoe salds, pasta, etc etc.

No soya at all, except some vegetarian restaurants in Athens.

In many traditional tavernas you can enter the kitchen or approach the kitchen counter and take a look at the food.

HOTEL EATING: Meat was not basic ingredient of traditional Greek cuisine. Nowadays meat is in many menus, while other don't have it. You 'll find meals like mentioned above in your hotel or any restaurant. If you have some special prescripted food - except than an ordinary vegetarian way of eating ( which i certainly must do sometime too ) - please contact with your hotel for adiitional info.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is vegetarian options ,half board booked for aug 06

Sorry it;s Litsa and not Lisa.

Litsa, i must send you a package of fresh cheese pie and a huge pan of baklava.

Just kidding, i know that's impossible.

What many visitors do or don't know is that food and laying the table for a good meal is basic in our culture. We talk eating, we laugh eating, we make business eating and so on. . .

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what is vegetarian options ,half board booked for aug 06

Hey, ever heard of FED/EX or DHL - send it on!!!!!! And yes! the pleasure Greeks take in food is to be admired....where else can you sit for hours, nibblin, sipping, talking, laughing....w/out having the restaurant/wait staff waiting for you to leave?! Well, that also depends upon how rowdy the crew! But basically, it IS an experience...not just sitting down to a meal!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what is vegetarian options ,half board booked for aug 06

LOL

Weel, greetings from a rainy but always warm hearted Athens!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what is vegetarian options ,half board booked for aug 06

And same to you Nick from a very SUNNY New York today!

chania platanias
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: what is vegetarian options ,half board booked for aug 06

thanks to both of you,litsa & nick.you have put my mind at rest,sounds like we won't starve afterall.

can't wait to go on holiday.i'm sure we'll love crete.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what is vegetarian options ,half board booked for aug 06

For sure you won't starve.....as a matter of fact....watch that waistline....you may even come back w/a few extra pounds! Yea! it's THAT GOOD! - Enjoy!

Vancouver British...
Level Contributor
52 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what is vegetarian options ,half board booked for aug 06

Crete Is for vegetarians. In fact if you tell them in greek that you Are one they will think that you are odd. Even for meat eaters it is wise to stay only with Cretan specialties. You will love it :)