We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samarian Gorge

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
Samarian Gorge

We are staying in Hania in May and wondered, being realistic, whether we could consider walking the gorge. How fit do you need to be, what footwear would you need, is it possible to go back after 3 or 4 miles if you have had enough for example ?? We are in our fifites, active but not exactly fit from a gym point of view. Would be grateful for advice !

Belgium
Level Contributor
778 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samarian Gorge

Most of the gorge is descending, down hill, so it is not very difficult. However the pain comes the next day when your leg muscles will be very sore if you are not used to walking down hill.

Going back after 4 or 5 miles would be very hard because going back it's steep uphill. The first miles are the steepest.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Samarian Gorge

You can check www.thehotel.gr/samaria-gorge-chania-crete/ for more information.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,444 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samarian Gorge

You would definately NOT want to go back after 4 miles, the first part is 95% of the descent, it would be much easier to carry on and do the rest which is flat and boulderous. I'm roughly your age and have been down the Samaria gorge 3 times, it is getting easier for me, knowing you can do it helps a lot. I'm not very fit but do a lot of walking.

You can go down shorter and much easier gorges such as the Imbros Gorge near Chora Sfakia.

crete
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Samarian Gorge

imbros gorge would be an option. however, you would not have any problems going through the Samaria gorge, as long as you wear proper shoes. do not think that you are going to climb on any rocks and any cliffs. there is a pathway that you should follow all the way down to Agia Roumeli. for me the hardest part was the last couple kilometers, although a straight 'line', it is without any trees or shadows and the time will be around 13:00, meaning that the sun will be exactly on top of you...

arriving at the sea will be the best part...

enjoy!

Stoke
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Samarian Gorge

I agree with replies, we are about the same age and walked the gorge last May. It took us the best part of 7 hours and the first mile or two is a zig zag path down the side of the gorge to the river bed. This part is the killer on knees and you then have some 14/15 kms left to reach the sea to catch the ferry back. Walking back would not really be an option. We also wore walking boots which are best suited. You can do "the short walk "which starts at the other end of gorge. From here you can walk into it as far as you want before turning back, but the walk from here is not that interesting as its on a road to the cafe at end of gorge before getting to the gorge proper.

We are not that fit although we both walk in our jobs, we both had aching legs for days afterwards. I wouldn't rush to do it again though !!