We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

Nottingham...
6 posts
Save Topic
Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

I need to get from Heraklion Airport to Almyrida with my 2 children this August. I think there might be a bus, maybe to Chania, but does anyone know where the closest point to Almyrida is that the bus would would stop and drop me off? I saw a timetable once for Heraklion > Rethymnon > Chania but with no apparent stops in between!!

Nottingham...
6 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

Thank you JWugg.

I had looked on Google Earth at the route and the distance from Almyrida to get a rough idea and that's why I thought it might be walk-able.

We stayed previously about 5 minutes beyond the Inca store at the other end of Kalives so were used to walking into Kalives frequently from that direction. It used to take 20 - 25 minutes to get to the centre, but that was tarmac road all the way.

The distance from Almyrida to Kalives (harbour end) looks only slightly further than what we are used to but I suspect the terrain is a little rougher - nothing me and my 2 'Donkeys' can't cope with!!.

It will be well worth a try at the right time of day (or evening rather!!) but knowing there are a few buses as well as taxis is very useful (we may be too tired from all the sun bathing to walk far at all of course!!)

So thanks for the tips and the confirmation - it all helps :0)

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

It's a very different walk from the other end of kalives. It's quite hilly, but pretty too. & you could stop at Kera beach on the way for a swim! I'd say get a bus/ taxi 1 way & walk the other, but it'll be dark in the eve as it's dirt tracks a lot of the way. You can, of course, walk on the road but it's a bit further & not great with the traffic. Anyway, you'll find plenty of nice places to eat & drink in Almyrida & I suggest you walk up the hill to Plaka - great food, cheaper than on the seafront.

13. Re: Transfer from Heraklion airport to Almyrida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 12, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Chania Town