We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rembetiko

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Omer
Level Contributor
41 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
rembetiko

Any tavernas of other venues in Chania or vicinity that have authentic Greek music? Going to Chania in a week or so and will have a car.

Also , when visited Chania some 20 years ago I remember a quarter that was known as the "red lights" area. Is it still there?

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rembetiko

There is a traditional taverna in Armeni that makes traditional Greek and Cretan evenings. And for sure there are some bars, but keep in mind , night life starts late in Greece. What you mean with red light area, like in Amsterdam, well I dont think it is there

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rembetiko

When we were in Chania a couple of years ago we often went to a small place called `Cafe Kriti` at the eastern end of town near the harbour. We were made very welcome even though we were often the only tourists there. They play cretan music live most nights & things get going later in the evening, Drinks & ouzo/raki are available with Mezes if required. 12barbluesman

Koper, Slovenia
Level Contributor
48 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rembetiko

I recommend Lemonia in Kato Stalos - Agias Marinas. The owner, the staff, the ambience, and finally food in incredible. I would go back on Crete just to have dinner in LEMONIA!!! Check the link:

facebook.com/pages/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,251 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rembetiko

Cafe Kriti is at 22 Kalergon, the street behind and parallel to the harbour, near the Venetian arsenali. They don't get started until 9pm, and it doesn't get really lively until around 11. They play Cretan music, not Rembetika which, strictly speaking is the music of the cities of mainland Greece - Piraeus/Athens in particular.

5. Re: rembetiko

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, October 06, 2012