We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving: Chania to Knossos

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chania
1 post
Save Topic
Driving: Chania to Knossos

Hey all. We're in Chania now, beautiful even in February, and are going to drive to Knossos and back for a day trip. I know, I know, but that's just the way it is.

We're thinking Rethymo on the way back. Knossos is only open to 5pm and you have to see it in daylight.

My question is, how will I know where to turn to get to Knossos? Do I just stay on the main highway all the way and then the turn is obvious? Can someone advise me here? If it's well marked then that's ok, just let me know. Thanks!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,533 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving: Chania to Knossos

It has been two years since we drove from Chania to Heraklion and we ran out of time and did not actually have the time to go to Knossos however I believe there were signs on the National highway. The turnoff to Knossos is a few km west of the Heraklion airport. If I am wrong then your worst case scenario is to the airport and ask there. According to mapquest Knossos is 7 km from the airport. Enjoy

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving: Chania to Knossos

The way from Chania to Knossos is easy. Just drive the highway till Heraklion, at the ouside of the city you meet the first get offs from the highway. 1 is for the south region, like Mires and Matala, than the next is to enter the city from the west side, the stadium and harbor direction. Than the middle one is for the city and Knossos. So ignore the first 2 and take NR 3.Go under the tunnel and than pass the hospital and after 3 Km. is Knossos.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving: Chania to Knossos

Hi there

I believe the road to Knossos is also signposted for Archanes - as Albert says, it's an easy drive on a good, fast road (the E75 New National Road) all the way to Iraklion. Allow 2.5-3 hrs for the ride each way

4. Re: Driving: Chania to Knossos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:33 am, October 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Chania Town